can't get email set up for Windows Live.

Contributor

can't get email set up for Windows Live.

can someone help me get my Windows Live email set up.  my email is att.net but directions says to put att.com.  Done it both ways but still nothing.  If someone could help me please....Thanks

I have a Hotmail account and get mail there but would like to be able to use my ATT mail account also

Message 1 of 12 (10,767 Views)
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Anonymous
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: can't get email set up for Windows Live.

Hopefully this will help:

Windows Live Mail Setup For U-verse

You can open Windows Live Mail by typing it in the Start menu or from All Programs > Windows Live > Windows Live Mail.

1. After you have opened Windows Live Mail, select Add e-mail account. Note: If you are using Windows Live Mail for the first time, it will automatically pop open the Add e-mail account window.
  2. In the email address field, type your full AT&T email address.
  3. In the password field, type the password associated with your AT&T email address.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Remember password.
  5. In the Display name field, type your name the way that you want it to appear to other people when you send an email.
  6. Place a checkmark next to Manually configure server settings for this e-mail account.
  7. Select Next.
  8. Next to My incoming mail server is a___, select POP3.
  9. In the Incoming server field, type pop.att.yahoo.com.
  10. Under the Incoming server field, place a checkmark next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL).
  11. In the Port field to the right of Incoming server, type 995.
  12. Next to Log on using, select Clear text authentication.
  13. In the Login ID field, type your full AT&T email address. Note: This field will default to only the first part of your email address. You must type in the full address, including the domain (e.g., test@att.net).
  14. In the Outgoing server field, type smtp.att.yahoo.com.
  15. Under the Outgoing server field, place a checkmark next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL).
  16. In the Port field to the right of Outgoing server, type 465.
  17. Place a checkmark next to My outgoing server requires authentication.
  18. Select Next.
  19. If this will be the account you send mail from the most, place a checkmark next to Set this account as the default mail account.
  20. Select Finish.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12 (10,767 Views)
Community Support

Hi dorothyc,

I am not sure why they stated to use att.com, but I would use att.net as it is in your e-mail address. I have used this for many customers and it has worked. Other than that, the step-by-step instructions beebeesa provided hopefully got everything working. If not, let us know what error messages you are getting, and we would be glad to assist.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 12 (10,767 Views)
Contributor

These instructions worked with Live essentials 10 but not with Live v12.  It immediately see the pop address as invalid.  I get this error message.  Format is different for v12. 

Unable to send or receive messages for the ATT (my name) account. The host 'pop.att.yahoo,com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.

Server: 'pop.att.yahoo,com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes
Socket Error: 11004

Help

Barbara

Message 4 of 12 (10,403 Views)
Contributor

Sorry I had a comma in there.  Now It keeps trying to verify password, ans it will not go through.

Message 5 of 12 (10,401 Views)
Contributor

Hi Misty,

Did you ever get a resolution to this problem?  I have the same issue with only one of my email accounts.  I have several and all are set up the same in the Windows Live Mail client.

But only one has the problem.  All others work just fine.  

I have verified all email accounts have the correct and the same settings.

AT&T is no help at all so just wondering if you ever got a resolution.

Thanks,

Ron

Message 6 of 12 (6,679 Views)
Contributor

See the problem is my server does not havepop3 even scrolling down does not have an option

Message 7 of 12 (3,868 Views)
Contributor

I am having a similar problem. Trying to add the att.net email account to Windows 10's Live Mail. I have followed the instructions as shown in the email setup instructions. I get an error that says the password is not correct, but I have signed on to the web mail with that same password and it works fine. I receive the following error message:

I have done the configuration multiple times and still get the same error.

Unable to send or receive messages for the Att (xxxxxx) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your user name and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR [AUTH] (#AUTH012) Incorrect username or password.
Server: 'inbound.att.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

Message 8 of 12 (3,273 Views)
Contributor

i did this all above before for my first email account in windows live mail with att uverse but uses pop.att.net and smtp.att.net 

I changed the ports to 995 and 465 etc

If I try to do a test and send an  email to the new account or try to do and test by sending from the new account to my old existing account, everything is going to the OUTBOX of the new account set up and it refuses to accept or go out saying something wrong with my passwordl 

would appreciate any help 

Message 9 of 12 (2,776 Views)
Contributor

I've tried this method of creating a Windows Live MAil account and have not be sucessful so far. I have no idea what I am doing incorrectly. Please help.

Message 10 of 12 (2,300 Views)
Contributor

I, too have the same problem w/ creating Windows Live Mail acct connecting ATT to yahoo email after spending hours, HOURS of going through every configuration known to man? and I know it must be something very simple we're missing . . . 

No one can help, i've tried the chat, they send me through a circle  . . . unless, I pay someone to figure it out it will not be solved . . . is it Windows?  Is it Yahoo?  What is it?

Message 11 of 12 (2,204 Views)
Contributor

All very old advice . . . this is 2016
Message 12 of 12 (1,153 Views)