Protect yourself online
Codieland's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, November 8th, 2015 1:27 PM

att.net emails accessed by iPhones and Outlook not in sync & deleted from server

I set up my att.net email to be accessed through MS Outlook on my computer AND two different iPhones.   However, my email is deleted from the att server after being read AND on one iPhone I don't receive all the emails and it's delayed (att phone service) AND the other iPhone (4s with Verizon) doesn't keep the emails - they disappear as soon as the email is deleted from the Att.net server.

How can I 1) keep email on the att.server, and 2) have both iphones and Outlook on my computer be in sync with the same emails and the emails stay on the phones for access?     

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Codieland You can actually set up Outlook to be imap also.  If you do that all your devices will sync.  I have my Outlook set up like that and no matter which device I send or receive mail from the others all update with the same information.

Set up instructions:

Method 1: Microsoft Office Outlook 2010

1. Start Outlook.
  2. On the File menu, click Info and click Account Settings.
  3. Select Account Settings from the list.
  4. On the E-mail tab, click New and Select Email Account, and then click Next
  5. Click to select the Manually configure server settings or additional server types check box, and then click Next.
  6. Click Internet E-Mail, and then click Next.
  7. In the Server Information section, select IMAP for Account Type.
  8. In the Your Name box, enter your name exactly as you want it to appear to recipients.
  9. In the E-mail Address box, type your e-mail address.
  10. In the User Name box, type your account name.
  11. In the Password box, type your password.
  12. In the Incoming mail server box, type the name of your IMAP4 server.
  13. In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) box, type the name of your SMTP server.

Note IMAP4 is a retrieval protocol. You must have SMTP to send your messages.
  14. Click Next after you have completed entering this configuration information, and then click Finish.

Method 2: Microsoft Office Outlook 2007

1. Start Outlook.
  2. On the Tools menu, click Account Settings.
  3. Click New.
  4. Click Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP, and then click Next.
  5. In the Auto Account Setup dialog box, click to select the Manually configure server settings or additional server types check box, and then click Next.
  6. Click Internet E-Mail, and then click Next.
  7. In the Server Information section, select IMAP for Account Type.
  8. In the Your Name box, enter your name exactly as you want it to appear to recipients.
  9. In the E-mail Address box, type your e-mail address.
  10. In the User Name box, type your account name.
  11. In the Password box, type your password.
  12. In the Incoming mail server box, type the name of your IMAP4 server.
  13. In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) box, type the name of your SMTP server.

Note IMAP4 is a retrieval protocol. You must have SMTP to send your messages.
  14. Click Next after you have completed entering this configuration information, and then click Finish.

Method 3: Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 and earlier versions of Outlook

1. Start Outlook.
  2. On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
  3. Under E-mail Accounts, click Add a new e-mail account, and then click Next.
  4. Click IMAP as the type of account that you are creating, and then click Next.
  5. In the Your Name box, enter your name exactly as you would like it to appear to recipients.
  6. In the E-mail Address box, type your e-mail address.
  7. In the User Name box, type your account name.
  8. In the Password box, type your password.
  9. In the Incoming mail server (IMAP) box, type the name of your IMAP4 server.
  10. In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) box, type the name of your SMTP server.NOTE: IMAP4 is a retrieval protocol. You need SMTP to send your messages.

11. Click Next after you have completed entering this configuration information, and then click Finish.

AT&T imap server settings are:

IMAP  imap.mail.att.net  PORT 993  SSL Yes  smtp.mail.att.net  PORT465 Or 587 

SSL

Yes 

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @Codieland,

It sounds like your Outlook is removing the messages off the server. There is actually a setting you can check to leave a copy on the server so your other devices can view your messages without issues. It is located in your advanced settings in outlook and is labeled "Leave a copy of message on the server."

Once you have that checked, your iPhone will work with no issue, since it usually uses an IMAP configuration.

Hope this helps.

-ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

thank you for your reply.   I set to  leave on the server and my Outlook downloaded all the same emails over and over again  I had 10 copies of each email unread so I had to select "remove from server" - must be another advanced setting??

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hey @Codieland,

We were able to get more information regarding email going to trash. This is related to the imap setup on mobile device. It is not an item we have control over as it is an iPhone related function. We recommend using the Yahoo App instead of the mail client on the mobile device. 

-ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

To BeeBeeSA,

I have been searching online for setting information pertaining to IMAP settings for Outlook, and I finally came across your entry. Thank you so much. I observed the following text below your entry: If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution. ", but I was unable to locate the link to submit this. I appreciate your input regarding this matter. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.