Protect yourself online
nadine102's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, December 30th, 2017 6:40 AM

annoying at&t pop-up promoting home page change to at&t

When I attempt to remove ads while reading emails on yahoo I keep getting pop-ups from AT&T attempting to get me to change my home page to at&t.  How do I stop these pop-ups?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

While I use Firefox the operation of extensions is similar in chrome.  There are two popular ad blocker extensions; Adblock Plus and a newer blocker called uBlock Origin.  There's others too but these two are probably the most popular.  I use Adblock Plus (ABP) which has been around a long time.

Here's the chrome webstore links for these two extensions (hope those links work since they lead to a popup window at those sites, if not do a search at the chrome webstore😞

uBlock Origin

Adblock Plus

I'll just talk about ABP since that's the one I use.  Install it.  Read any documentation.  The ABP home page maybe a better source.  Here's some additional documentation:

Getting started with Adblock Plus

In general when ADB (and uBlock Origin) works with a series of subscriptions scripts that contain instructions on how to block ads on various sites.  These scripts are constantly added to for new sites and changes to sites they already cover.  They have been growing for years.  I don't remember which scripts come with an initial install of ABP so here's the list of the ones I use.  Go here for the subscription lists:

EasyList
EasyPrivacy
Fanboy's Annoyance List

I have a few others from elsewhere but that gets into the problem of anti-adblocking.  With ABP installed you may encounter sites that don't like their ads being blocked.  In that case you have to disable ABP (done from the ABP button shown on your browser).  My other subscriptions are an attempt to disable the stuff on various pages that otherwise wouldn't work with ABP.  Even if you don't get a complaint from a site about using ABP the page may not draw correctly or perform correctly if ABP is trying to modify the page.  So again you might need to disable ABP for that page.  ABP can remember which pages you want it disabled.

I think in the case of ATT pages just the basic subscriptions is sufficient.  They should block the ads on start.att.net and on the webmail.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

When I attempt to remove ads while reading emails...

You mean when you click the '>' to the middle right of the email list pane?   As I recall the resulting pop up is trying to blackmail you into making att the default search engine, not the home page.  That cannot be suppressed unless you pay the blackmail or use an ad blocker addon/extension in your browser to suppress the ads.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

thanks for your help ... can u be more specific as to steps to take to get this add-on extension on my chrome browser?  Thanks!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks again for your help .. I'm really annoyed  with AT&T that I'll have to go thru all this just to get them to stop monkeying up my email page with their unsolicited ads ... have a blessed day, and thanks again! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.