For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
ATTU-verseCare's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

Tuesday, March 28th, 2017 3:17 PM

Your Yahoo Webmail Will No Longer Be Imported using POP - What It Means

Email_Banner.png

Hi all,

We understand there have been a few questions regarding the notifications you have been seeing regarding how your email will be imported from 3rd party email providers to your Yahoo Webmail. Not to worry, your email address will remain active, that will not change. What will change is how email are retrieved from other email providers such as Gmail, Hotmail, or AOL email to your Yahooo Webmail account. Instead of using POP protocol, our members will need to use IMAP protocol. The key thing to know about the Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) is that it lets you view your email folders the same way on any device, as it’s all synchronized from a central server. With IMAP your inbox, sent, and customized folders look alike, and have the same content, whether you’re checking mail on your phone, tablet, or PC. This is more in line with how our customers use multiple devices to view content and keeps synchronized across all devices you use for viewing your email using Yahoo Webmail or Yahoo Mail app. You can read more about it here.

If you have further trouble, check out our Email Troubleshooting article

***Edited to correct some confused statements and we thank the AT&T community for highlighting the issue.

-ATTU-verseCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@FrustratedinIN - It is ok to add a "me too" post to an already existing forum if the "me too" is the exact same problem.  This particular thread revolved about the confusion about the word "import" in a yahoo announcement last year.

Note, sometimes it's just better to start your own thread to potentially get more attention.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I am definitely not happy to hear this. I have an archive in Vista mail going back to 2010 and in XP to 2004.  I keep a Vista machine alive for that because Outlook (IMAP) keeps moving things out of my inbox into what it thinks an archive is and then deletes them or if I set it so it looks like the inbox remains in my control, they go straight to trash in 30 days.  I had to settle with IRS back to 2006 in 2016. ALL my information was recoverable and still is on the Vista machine. NO, I'll set up my own server before I allow this. You can put all your stuff up for hack if you want. Not me.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

I am definitely not happy to hear this.

Hear what?  The topic of this thread was the debate about what "import" actually means.  It means the att/yahoo email will no longer fetch email from other email account (be it on another email service or it's own service).  It did not mean POP support was going way for email client apps.  It's 2 years later since this thread was started and both POP and IMAP still exist today.  And there is nothing stopping an account from forwarding it's incoming email to some other account.  None of this has anything to do with the problems you are describing so you too should start your own thread.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.