ATTHelpForums's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

2.7K Messages

Tuesday, March 20th, 2018 5:58 PM

Yahoo Terms & Conditions Change FAQs

EmailSupport.png

Why did I receive a pop-up or an email notification from Oath about the Oath Terms of Service?

AT&T and Yahoo (at the time) work together to provide email related services. Oath is updating its terms of service because in 2017, Yahoo was acquired by Verizon, which combined the Yahoo business with AOL and formed a new company, known as Oath. 

What do I need to do?

Review the updated Oath terms of service and decide whether you choose to accept. If you choose to accept their updated terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now.  If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.  We do not know when or how it may be impacted, but you can visit Oath’s FAQ page to learn more.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

Will my email address change?

No, your email address will not change.  You will still be able to utilize your email address as usual.

Will my email account maintain the same functionality?

Yes, you can still send and receive emails, as well as access all other mail-related features. You can keep using your existing email address to send and receive emails just as you do today.

Do I need to cancel or modify my AT&T email service? 

No, there is no need to cancel any AT&T email service. It remains active and functional.

Will this Terms of Service announcement from Oath affect my ability to sign in to att.net?

No, you’ll continue to be able to use your email address to sign in to att.net.

Is there an option for me to not accept the Oath Terms of Service?

Yes.  When you receive the pop-up entitled “New Privacy and Terms,” you have the option to not accept by clicking on “I’ll do this later.”  And when you receive the email notification from Oath, you have the option of not clicking the button called “Review and agree now,” closing the email and disregarding the message.

What happens if I choose not to accept the Oath Terms of Service?

If you chose not to accept the terms of service, your AT&T email will continue to work as it does now, but in the future your service could be impacted.

Is there a way for me to opt out of having Oath use my email data for targeted advertising?

Yes.  If users want to opt out of having their email data used by Oath for targeted advertising, they may do so.  Users can do this by hovering over the ‘gear’ symbol in the upper right corner of the mail user interface on a PC or Mac, clicking on ‘About our Ads’ and then clicking on ‘Manage interest-based advertising categories, or opt-out of all categories, from Oath’.  This will take the user to the Yahoo Ad Interest Manager page, where the user can select the Opt Out button.  The full URL for the Ad Interest Manager webpage is https://aim.yahoo.com/aim/us/en/optout/.

What if I have questions about the provisions of the Oath Terms of Service?

For more information please visit Oath’s FAQs.  The full URL for the Oath FAQs is https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/guce/faq/index.html

If I accept the Oath Terms of Service, must I do so on each device that I use?

No, if you choose to accept the Oath terms of service, you can do this via your desktop, mobile and/or tablet device; It only needs to be accepted once.

AT&T Help

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

The arbitration-only clause is now infamous. One is not supposed to sign those and give up one's right to sue in a court of law. So if I don't sign this, I will have to switch to Comcast? 

This is a bad deal. Maybe it's a good reason to finally cut the cable cord.

Teacher

• 

76 Messages

6 years ago

I just received an email from Yahoo (with the AT&T and Yahoo! logos at the top) that says Yahoo is now owned by Verizon and is part of some association with AOL called "Oath".

The email says that they want users of Oath owned sites and services to agree to the new unified Terms of Service (TOS) and Privacy Policy. Within the TOS, there is a section entitled, "Information You Provide to Us." that states, "We may collect the information that you provide to us, such as: ", followed by a listed of bulletted items. One of the bullet items is "When you use our Services to communicate with others or post, upload or store content (such as comments, photos, voice inputs, videos, emails, messaging services and attachments)."

I don't want Verizon reading and collecting information from my emails. How do I continue to use my AT&T email without involving these services from Oath?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

You have the option of not accepting the TOS. Your ATT email will continue to work as it does now if you reject the oath TOS but could be impacted at some point in the future. See this FAQ for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Yahoo-Terms-amp-Conditions-Change-FAQs/m-p/5458931#M34634

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I will have to switch to Comcast...

...or switch email service providers if you otherwise like att and want to stick with it.  Google "email service providers" and shop for one that suits your needs.  There's plenty of free ESPs and others that you have to pay a (relatively small IMO) yearly or monthly fee.  All offer a webmail interface more or less like yahoo's and most also offer POP/IMAP for email client apps.  Some have both free and pay with different levels of service and storage limits.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

That's exactly right and why I've started migrating my Verizon and ATT emails to another provider.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I have another Yahoo account in order to use Flickr.

If I agree here to the Oath terms do I agree for the other account as well?

If I agree on the other account, do I agree here as well?

This is just one of numerous ambiguities and traps lurking in this "system" 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I think the TOS are on a per account basis so you should get the prompt to agree for each.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I'm not a business.. but I totally refuse to allow verizon or AOHELL to have any access to anything I have, I have friends that "WORKED" for verizon, they quit because of the underhanded and immoral business practices. bait and switch, people accounts being hacked, AOHELL especially, I have two friends who's account were hacked, the next thing they knew there banks were asking them why did they put over $15.000 of charges on there credit cards, in both cases, it was teens who had hacked there accounts and bought all sorts of video games and consoles, big screen TVs and more. took both months to get "SOME" of there money back.  I totally hate both companies, I used to work on friends computers, mostly because of AOHELL's Incessant updates corrupting all sorts of programs, using up every bit of drive space,  after 15 years of doing so I finally told all I had enough, switch service providers or don't come to me anymore.. I pay for AT&T, not ALHELL or verizon, and I should not be forced to do anything that will violate my protection and privacy, AT&T needs to grow some balls and tell yahoo that while it has paid customers yahoo needs to make previsions that we paid AT&T users are not bound by yahoo's stupid changes or mergers with the like of shill companies AOHELL and  verizon

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

I have no idea what this is about. It sounds as though you want me to agree to let you scan my emails and keep track of my browsing history.

Spoiler
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

I have no idea what this is about. It sounds as though you want me to agree to let you scan my emails and keep track of my browsing history.

Spoiler
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.