Protect yourself online
gooch_1's profile

Scholar

• 

110 Messages

Thursday, March 16th, 2017 12:06 AM

Yahoo Dropping POP3 3/31/2017. Does thatalso apply to att.yahoo.com?

I read that Yahoo Mail is dropping POP3 and will be using IMAP only. Does that also apply to the email handled by Yahoo for ATT?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

Cite?

Scholar

• 

110 Messages

7 years ago

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

7 years ago

Okay.. some things I got out of that help posting:

They are shutting down pop3 support for pc based systems, and that means ALL of their mail server accounts, including ATT's. (Even though they keep the accounts seperate from their main ones, it is still all Yahoo mail service.)

If I am not mistaken, smart phones and so on have already been using imap.

This will in no way affect the web based e-mail protal.  (mail.yahoo.com)

As I understand it, the biggest change will be to redo the link settings asccording to he entries on this chart : https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/dsl-high-speed/KM1010523:

Scholar

• 

110 Messages

7 years ago

Is there any Help file that shows me how to convert from POP3 to IMAP?

Scholar

• 

110 Messages

7 years ago

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/sln28161.html

says "Yahoo Mail POP import discontinued". I don't need "POP Import"
and therefore can forget switching to IMAP since POP will still be working for
downloading my email from the server?????

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

Hmm, "POP import".  Maybe I've never needed this feature or encountered it because I'm not sure of that terminology.  So what does "import" actually mean here?  Will the POP server (for example inbound.att.net) cease to exist? 

I access the Yahoo pop and smtp servers from a email client on my computer (Thunderbird in my case).  The mails come through the Yahoo pop server to my client and I set my client to delete them from the server as I read them.  If I happen to look at Yahoo's webmail I would see the messages in its trash.  And if I hadn't recently launched my client I would see unread emails in the webmail's inbox.  This is the way I would think most of us use a desktop email client to access the Yahoo pop/smtp servers.

In my case I don't use an att.net email address however.  I use an email address I've used since the '90's.  But it is not (repeat not) for a email service provider.  Rather it's an email forwarding service.  Mail going there is simply forwarded to my Yahoo att.net email service (no pop/smtp servers are provided by the forwarding service).  Thus there is no difference sending to there than sending directly to my att.net address.  I never give out or use my att.net address and sent mail always has a sender ("from") address specifying my forwarding service's address. 

So if the ATT servers remain theoretically I would still be able to use POP in my client.  So back to my original question, what is the definition of POP import and does that affect the way I am using the Yahoo email servers?  Is POP import just one specific subfunction of the servers (importing mail from yet another email service provider)?  I really would like to understand this.

Scholar

• 

110 Messages

7 years ago

Apparently Yahoo is dropping the POP function that permits you to pull emails from another email account into Yahoo Mail. It does not appear that they are dropping POP completely. I sure would like to from AT&T as to what is really going to happen to POP on Mar 31

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

@ATTU-verseCare(or whoever) are you listening?   What's ATT's position in this?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

My understanding is that "POP import" means the ability to use POP3 to import your emails into your email client on your computer. So, no, in that case POP3 will not work at all after the specified date. 

This still doesn't answer the original question,  does it effect non-yahoo.com email accounts? I am wondering this as well because while I have multiple accounts with att.yahoo, I only received notification of this change on my single yahoo.com email account. 

Scholar

• 

110 Messages

7 years ago

In the previous citation (above) Yahoo Mail gives the following definition:

"If you're using POP (Post Office Protocol) import to pull emails from
another email account into Yahoo Mail...". I interpret that to mean
something like pulling emails from Google Mail into Yahoo Mail. That
function will no longer work after 3/31/2017. However, I also interpret
that to mean downloading from Yahoo mail onto my desktop software
(Thunderbird/Seamonkey) will continue to work.

The reason I don't want to switch from POP3 to IMAP is that I have about
100 sub-folders under my INBOX in my POP3 account. I also have a about
100 message filters that examine the mail in the INBOX and move it to
the appropriate sub-folder. If I switch to IMAP, I have to establish a
new account in Thunderbird/Seamonkey, manually add 100 sub-folders to
that IMAP account and then add 100 message filters to the IMAP acccount.
I then have to MOVE ( or COPY) all of the email from the old POP3
account to the new IMAP account -- about 27,000 emails. How many
days/weeks will it take me to do that?

It would be helpful if someone from AT&T would explain if I can still
use POP3 to download my email after 3/31/2017
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.