Protect yourself online
JNC057's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Thursday, May 8th, 2014 12:36 AM

Why am I receiving thes "sponsered" email spam?

Why am I now receiving this "sponser" email SPAM? This is far from a free email service. Sticking these "sponsered" ads in our email is uncalled for.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I do not see an option to opt out of the ads in my settings menu.  Where exactly is this option?  Can you provide a screen shot to help??  Could you give something a bit more detailed by way of instructions?

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

I don't have the new email, but from the tutorial video I noticed there is an option for "Add Free Mail", settings menu is the Gear icon in the upper right corner:

Capture.JPG

Dmitriy

1 Attachment

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

10 years ago

I have also paid for AT&T internet and email (not to mention landline and cell phone) for years and I do not get that option for ad free mail when I click on the gear.  I don't really care about ads over to the side, but the one that is actually IN my inbox at the top is very annoying.

(I also find the new email is much slower to load new messages - and this is on a new computer with Uverse internet - I can't imagine how long it must take on an older computer!)

Editing to add that in the place of that "ad free mail" option, I have "about ads" - I have already "opted out" of interest based advertising, so that may be why - but either way, it does nothing to remove the advertising "email" in my inbox!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Too bad the Ad Free Mail option shown in the video doesn't reflect reality here. Unless of course it requires Enable conversations to be checked. But I really like being able to sort mail by sender so I can do a quick visual scan for spam in the Inbox and non-spam in the Spam folder before downloading mail to my computer.

There was some nastiness in an earlier thread about us users being set in our ways and resisting change/progress.  At work I migrated from Outlook to Gmail. There was a considerable learning curve but my experience with Gmail was pretty consistently positive.  I found Gmail to be richly featured, well thought out and pleasant to use.

Contrast this with AT&T Yahoo mail. I started out with AT&T Worldnet in June 1996. After e-mail was farmed out to Yahoo I've seen the service go progressively downhill.  A few days ago I was notified that the missed-spam@att.net mailbox was not accepting mail because it was overflowing. This was a place to forward spam that one had missed in the browser and had been downloaded to one's email client. I suspect it was no longer functional after AT&T left Postini but now it appears it is not even monitored.

So what does this all mean?

1) This new mail system probably was designed for smart phones and tablets.  The desktop and laptop market is fading and not a concern for upper management.

2) AT&T may want to cut its expenses for the e-mail business.  It may be low-balling Yahoo or Yahoo may even pay AT&T for the privilege of getting our eyeballs. Marissa may be the one cutting expenses and thus quality.

3) AT&T may want to get out of the Internet business.  This is kind of hard to imagine strategically but stranger things have happened.  Remember CEOs get paid for their contacts not their performance.  Make things bad enough so customers leave then they can shut it down claiming it's no longer a growth business.

The underlying assumption here is that no one in their right mind would insult customers with an advertisement as the first message in one's e-mail unless one didn't give a d-mn about them.

As I was gritting my teeth a few days ago I was wondering how much trouble it would be to move to a new email address and ISP.  Decided it was doable - have a few months of overlap, then cut the cord. And a small local ISP might be a tiny bit harder for the NSA to vacuum data from.

Guru

• 

498 Messages

10 years ago

I don't have any such "Ad Free" option.

adfree.jpg

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I can't find any such option

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I can agree with that! I am very disgusted with the ads, and now with this 'new, improved' service the ads are even in my INBOX!

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

There is no option to stop the advertisements. The employee guy is wrong. You can stop adds tailored to you but you will still get advertisements. Your option to stop the adds is also stored on a cookie. Once you delete cookies you have to do that every time.

******Did you also see where they now SCAN your email for specific words to help advertise to you directly? I wonder if they also think its ok to listen to my calls since it's ok to read my email.

And I pay for that mail box by having AT&T internet and phone. I also have Comcast so ditching AT&T will be easy.

By the end of the month I will have disposed of everything AT&T. There worse than Google now.

How dare they put adds in my in box and read my mail... SHAME SHAME SHAME

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Is everyone aware that in addition to placing advertisements in your email they also scan (read) your email for specific words to target your advertisements even more to you? Does anyone believe that's OK?

If you opt out of advertising tailored to you by following all their links you will still get advertisements. Just not tailored for you. But to do even that you must allow a cookie to be stored on your computer. Everyone empties cookies. You have to re-do all opt outs every time you empty cookies. So that's every time I close my browser.

Unless AT&T does a major 180 in a couple days I will have terminated every thing AT&T by the end of the month. Thats landline internet and this crappy working email. All of it.

Reading my email makes AT&T more of a predator than Google. And being worse than google is saying something.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Actually there is one way to stop them, and you said it. Change ISPs. And now that ATT is buying Directtv, I feel like I'm doubly screwed. They sure kept that quiet till the last minute. I was just considering doing a bundle thru Directtv, but if it takes me right back to ATT, I may have to consider another ISP.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.