09-15-2018 3:39 PM
I have used Outlook (currently on 2016 version) for years. Periodically, something changes that causes Outlook to have problems with Bellsouth mail. I have the settings correct according to what I have read on AT&T pages, but I can no longer send or receive email through Outlook. Webmail works fine. What has changed? What can I do to resolve this?
Solved by: Go to Solution.
09-17-2018 6:17 AM
Let's get you back to sending and receiving emails like a pro! Check out our troubleshoot and resolve tool to repair and update your email.
Dee, AT&T Community Specialist
09-17-2018 5:54 PM
09-19-2018 2:32 AM
I was finally able to create a secure key for my email on the AT&T site. That seems to have resolved the problem.
09-19-2018 5:20 AM
We're glad to see you got it figured out! If you need help with anything else going forward, just let us know!
Aminah, AT&T Community Specialist
09-30-2018 6:38 AM
Outlook 2016 and Bellsouth.net Email (Solution?)
Having has a couple of frustrating weeks, I thought I would document what worked for me with the hope that it may work for others.
After 25 years of having the same bellsouth.net email addresses, they stopped communicating with the AT&T.net servers (or I guess more correctly, yahoo servers). After contacting AT&T support several times with no solution being provided (I’ll spare you the details of those calls), I decided to spend a day and do a whole lot of research.
The big change that is being implemented is the requirement to use email clients that use OAuth encryption. If you have a client like, oh let’s say, Outlook, you will need to create a “secure mail key” to use as the password since Outlook does NOT support OAuth. See this link for more info.
The next steps are what I found that worked for me.
Since I have Outlook 2016, the Add Email Account screens are very sparse and even if you click on Advanced Settings, Outlook tries to connect the account without showing you the server settings. If it fails, then it asks if you want to look at the settings.
By creating and using the “secure mail key” for each email account, I am now able to connect to the servers and send and receive emails.
It’s unfortunate that AT&T has not better communicated this change to its customers. What’s worse, when I asked AT&T support if they knew anything about the OAuth and/or Secure mail keys, they said no. Unfortunately, not surprising.
If this helps even one other user, it was worth me writing this up. Good Luck!
09-30-2018 12:51 PM