For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
teffertoes's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, August 5th, 2010 11:25 PM

Unmerging Yahoo & AT&T email accounts

It appears my Yahoo email account has been hacked. When I went in to change the password, it told me I had to change it via my merged AT&T account. Well, I haven't had AT&T for a couple of years and never unmerged that account from Yahoo after I left, apparently. When I try to go in with my former AT&T account, I initially get in and it says:

"We're sorry, the AT&T sevice you are attempting to access is not available using the login information you provided.
To continue, please select the login button for one of the services below."

I then get sent to the initial login for the AT&T account manager, but I can't login because I haven't been with AT&T for at least a year to 2 years. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to abandon my Yahoo account because I have too many things associated with it.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Did your issue get resolved ? I am having the same problem. We discontinued the ATT DSl account years ago. And I lost access to my yahoo account last week.  ATT support person is saying they cann't help me because I am nolonger their customer.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I've been talking to AT&T and Yahoo for 2 days and they can't agree on how to unmerge my yahoo email with my ATT account (an old SBCGLOBAL account). I'm tired of the "it's the other guy who has to fix it".

How do you reach a "level 2" or knowledgeable person at ATT?

Is there a way to unmerge it myself?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Sadly the delete account solution no longer works.  It must have been too helpful so ATT removed the Delete Account option from the Profile page.

Shouldn't there be something illegal about them merging my yahoo account to my att.net account in the first place?  Idon't remember giving any explicit approval or okay to do so.  If ATT ever has to repay customers for all the time they've wasted trying to get help with phone, internet and wireless support, tehy will be out of business the next day.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I tried this and was able to delete my .att account, but yahoo still recognizes it as merged.  I signed out and closed my browser and everything but it still doesn't seem to be updating.  Any thoughts?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I found out what happened to Alex: http://forums.att.com/t5/Email-Internet-Security/Unmerging-Yahoo-amp-AT-amp-T-email-accounts/td-p/2013353.  Apparently he moved to a different role, but someone else is taking over for him.  I'm going to try private messaging her and see if that turns out to be helpful.  Fingers crossed!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

To answer your question in short, yes your yahoo id will remain the same and your sbcglobal e-mails will remain in your yahoo id.

...now as far as my dilemma. I should not have unmerged my accounts. Beware, once you unmerge there is NO turning back. I have been trying to figure out how I can get my sbcglobal account back as many contacts know me by this e-mail. I wasn't aware that unmerging meant losing your sbcglobal account. Be aware of this as there is NO turning back. And if you do find a solution to remerge the sbcglobal account, please please please let me know!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Any luck on a new contact for fixing the unmerging problem?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I just completed a move from Comcast to here and realized that as competition heats up home ISP accounts will be in-and-out of existence. Your SBCGlobal account does not exist if you are not a subscriber to its service. I changed addresses for EVERYthing I want to keep coming from the Comcast to a more permanent Hotmail account. Now, no matter who provides my home internet connection, my reliance on their email will be minimal; used, really, mainly for "throwaway" communications. (I got the Hotmail account in the middle 1990s, when it was owned and operated by Hotmail, years before Microsoft bought it, so I am probably lucky in that regard.) Based on some contacts of mine, there are apparently still some decent free email accounts still out there. Several years ago I tried to open a second Hotmail account for my students to use and it seemed as though Microsoft has many barriers to opening a free Hotmail account. Since they've moved even Hotmail to an Outlook Mail server, maybe they have or will soon become more inviting for those seeking to sign up. My all-time back-up (which will keep emails stored on my computer forever, long after I have left the provider or the provider has left me) is Thunderbird (Mozilla). I have it copy files from Hotmail, my college's email, and "Home," the name I have given to whatever company is my hope internet service provider. I also have, in addition to the new ATT.net account, a GMail and Yahoo account, neither of which I have set up in Thunderbird. (The real reason I am in this section now is I really want to be able to have both Yahoo and ATT open separately, but after a few minutes ATT announces it will un-log me into Yahoo Mail AND close the whole window! — But I'll look for or start a thread on this issue.)

The short point: do not get dependent on ANY email service, and especially not on the one supplied by your ISP.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I just unmerged my account and it worked as promised in this article:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB418183#fbid=uYLuWdIg4Da

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am also facing the same issues over unmerging the mail security...What are the other alternatives method to debug it? So I can fix it my best level..I am also checking some {commercial link removed}

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.