Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Impacted by the government shutdown? AT&T can help.  Learn more

Unable to send mail in Thunderbird

Contributor

Unable to send mail in Thunderbird

I have just set Thunderbird up on a new Windows 10 computer. I am a legacy customer with an @prodigy.net email address. The message I am getting is:

"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Request failed; Mailbox unavailable. Please verify that your email address is correct in your account settings and try again."

My email address IS correct in both POP and SMTP settings.

This is the SMTP info that was automatically set up by Thunderbird:

Description: AT&T
Server Name: outbound.att.net
Port: 465
User Name: X@prodigy.net
Authentication Method: Normal password
Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Note: I set the password to be saved when I set up the account in Thunderbird.

After doing some searching both here and elsewhere, I tried setting up another SMTP server. Everything was the same except the Server Name: smtp.mail.yahoo.com. This is the same setting I had on my previous Windows 7 computer. I tried both ports suggested - 465 and 587.

Same error.

I can receive mail just fine. So the password isn't the problem. My antivirus is BitDefender and I found nothing in Google mentioning and conflict between it and Thunderbird.

Please help!!

Marcia

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by EchoTheHealer
‎01-29-2018 3:24 PM

Re: Unable to send mail in Thunderbird

Note: I set the password to be saved when I set up the account in Thunderbird.

Try recreating the password again.  Open TB's preferences, security, passwords tab, saved logins.  Click on the entry for smtp://outbound.att.net and remove it.  The next send attempt will prompt you for the password.  Enter it and be sure to click the checkbox to update the password manager.  See if you can send now.

Note, I use TB with no problems.  But I don't have one of those legacy accounts.  Given all the problems that seem to be reported in these forums for those accounts all bets are off.

Update:

Almost forgot.  Turn off the AV stuff too in case that's screwing things up.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

You are an Ace Master indeed! I didn't even have to turn off the antivirus. And you answered so quickly! You're my hero!!

Marcia

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

And you answered so quickly!

Once you are burned by TB's sensitivity to password setting you never forget! Man LOL

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
Teacher

you must be old enough to remember the Adventure game (xyzzy).  I wasted many hours on TTY playing far before CRT terminals.

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Additional Support