Explore & discover

Helpful Links

UNABLE TO RECEIVE E-MAIL THRU THUNDERBIRD

Contributor

UNABLE TO RECEIVE E-MAIL THRU THUNDERBIRD

Have been receiving message "Sending of password for user **************@bellsouth.net did not succeed. Mail server inbound.att.net responded: Server error - Please try again later."using Thunderbird e-mail client since 6:00 pm 08-26-2018. Have gone thru steps checking password in client which is correct and even settings for server. I'm able to log in webmail with no problem.

Message 1 of 17
ACE - Expert

Re: UNABLE TO RECEIVE E-MAIL THRU THUNDERBIRD

Try changing your password (Forgot ID/Password).  Sometimes that's enough to get legacy accounts like yours working again.

Once you change the password you need to of course also change the password setting in your Thunderbird.  So while you are in there I recommend that instead of using the new password use a secure mail key instead.  Read this (which includes a link to how to create a secure mail key).

To change your Thunderbird passwords access your Thunderbird preferences, security, passwords, saved logins.  Delete the password entries for POP or IMAP and SMTP servers.  The next time you send and and the next time you receiver you will get dialogs prompting you for the new password.  Enter it and be sure to click the checkbox in the dialog to remember the password in the password manager (i.e., the saved logins).  For example, send a email to yourself to get those dialogs.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 17
Contributor

I had the same problem starting in August 2018. For me, it was intermittent. Happened in Aug, then just started working again and worked for 3 weeks. Then happened in Sept 2018 for one day, then started to work again.

My solution was to create a "secure mail key". There is an AT&T article called "Use OAuth or secure mail key for email apps". With some AT&T security change, Thunderbird is in a group called "non-OAuth compatible email apps". In this article there is a link to another article to "learn how to create a secure mail key" for these non-OAuth compatible apps.

The problem came back again for me while I was doing my investigation; BUT as soon as I created my "secure mail key" and used it as my Thunderbird password, I was able to "Get Messages" and "Write" messages. Thus I no longer get the message saying sending of password did not succeed.

Message 3 of 17
ACE - Expert

@iinvestigate - I already recommend the key in post 2.  The OP never followed up.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 17

I tried to make a key but get an error on AT&T account page stating OOOPS something happened and asking you to call 800 228-2020. When I call the foreign support people know nothing about a secure key and want you to call a pay for support number.

Message 5 of 17
Contributor

Today, Nov 16, 2018,  I am getting the same message (OOOPS something
happened...) when I logged on MyAT&T account and went to manage "secure
mail keys".

All I can assume is AT&T is having a problem with this process now. It
had worked for me back in Sept 2018. I doubt AT&T Customer Service will
be able to help with this.

I have no other suggestions except to wait for AT&T to correct this. Or
possibly they are performing some maintenance that is causing this.

Sorry I could not help, but can confirm it happened to me today too.
Message 6 of 17
ACE - Expert

@iinvestigate

Don't know what to tell you.  It's around 9:30PM PST (in case that doesn't correlate with this post time shown in the upper right corner) and I had no problem getting into myAT&T.

@compconsult said:

When I call the foreign support people know nothing about a secure key and want you to call a pay for support number.

It's statements like that why I never recommend calling tech support for any email problems.  I just say call the Digital Assistance Center (877-273-2728).  Of course I can't say they are any better either (never had to deal with them myself) but they certainly couldn't' be any worse! Man Frustrated

Message 7 of 17
Contributor

I am a little confused. There is no problem getting into your myAT&T account. The problem was trying to make a "secure mail key". (I'll list the procedure that I used to create a secure mail key after this paragraph). Even though it worked for me in Sept 2018, I had the same problem (OOOPS message) on Nov 16. So I tried again this morning (Nov 17) and got the same OOOPs message but it took a minute or so before that message appeared (which was different than last night). So I logged out, then logged in and tried again. This time it worked. I got to the point to either delete my current secure mail key; and to the point to add a secure mail key. I stopped at this point because I do not want to alter my current key.

The procedure I used to create a "secure mail key" is:

1. Go to att.com, click on "sign in" near the top right of the page.

2. Using your att email address and password, sign in.

3. By the person icon at the top, my name appears. Click on your name (or down arrow) to show the drop down box.

4. Click on "view profile".

5. On the Profile page, click on "Sign-in Info" under the padlock symbol.

6. On the "Sign-in Info" page, look for the "Secure Mail Key" box, then click on "Manage Secure Mail Keys".

(This is where the OOOPS message appeared for me yesterday and this morning. But the 2nd attempt this morning appeared to work.)

As I typed these instructions, I performed the actions on my account. This time if failed with "Hmm...Something went wrong..." message.

I feel confident these instructions are correct, but I just got intermittent results from my att account.

All I can suggest is to keep retrying until it works (or until the problem is fixed).

One more thing... I just clicked on "back" button on my browser (Firefox), got to the "Sign-in Info" page, clicked on "Manage Secure Mail Keys", and it worked. No error message.

FYI - back in September 2018 when I did not have these problems, I repeated the above procedure for all my sub-accounts as well. So I logged into att.com using a sub-account email address and its password, then completed the procedure to create a secure mail key. This worked for me (in Sept 2018) with 3 sub-accounts.

Message 8 of 17

I have spent several hours on this issue and I am not able to create a
secure key as I get an error message every time. I was on the phone with
AT&T support for over 1 hour yesterday and spoke with 5 support agents
and not 1 of them even knew what a secure key is. They barely can speak
English and when I asked for a tier 2 support person or a person in the
US they refused and told me it was a problem with my computer hardware.
I am finally going with Comcast internet and email. Much faster internet
and less money. Much better way to go.
Message 9 of 17
ACE - Expert

Hmm, your right.  Just checked out "Manage Secure Mail Keys" and get a black banner that says,

Hmm... something went wrong. Give it another try later or call us at 800.288.2020 (611 from your AT&T wireless phone).(RASP901)

I use Firefox (older version) with a lot of extensions that include ad blockers and other stuff.  I tried my FF using a clean profile (not to be confused with att's use of the word "profile") which in effect is the same a new installation on a system that never used FF before.  And cannot reproduce the error with that.  Nor can I reproduce it with chrome either.  So I suspect one of my addons is cause the problem for me or my FF profile is corrupt enough to make it fail.  Either way I don't have the time right now to dig into it further.

So the expedient thing to do right now is to just try a different browser at least to set or change the key.

Forget it. I refreshed the page in both chrome and the clean FF and the error appeared.  So something really is wrong with that page.

Message 10 of 17
Tutor

Same result for me today.  ATT rep. tossed the blame to my email client (MS Outlook), then suggested I call a paid troubleshooting service.  Was clueless as to what a 'Secure Mail Key' was.  Very frustrating.  

Message 11 of 17
ACE - Expert

The error on the secure key management page is now a known and reported problem.  When it will be fixed however is anyone's guess.

Message 12 of 17

As much money that we spend on internet and email you would think AT&T could afford to use telephone reps in the USA instead of farming it out to a 3rd world country that pays their workers $1.00 per hour. Or at least train them on how the system works so they might be a bit helpful when answering support calls. What a joke.

Message 13 of 17
Tutor

I tried getting a secure mail key once again today and 'surprise' it worked.  I have no way of knowing if I was just lucky or ATT finally fixed the web site problem.   I would be interested in hearing from others with this issue.  

Message 14 of 17

I tried to verify for you by going to my account to create the key, but
since I closed my account when I switched to Comcast I no longer have
access to that are of the AT7T site even though I was allowed to retain
my email address.
Message 15 of 17
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support