Helpful Links

Think You Were Hacked? - Learn How To Secure Your Email

Highlighted
Community Support

Think You Were Hacked? - Learn How To Secure Your Email

Email_Banner.png

Did your friends tell you they are getting weird emails from you? Are you not able to log into your email account? Is your email being routed to folders that you did not create or going to trash? Are you not receiving email? Are you seeing emails in your sent folder and you have no idea where they came from? Seeing bounced back messages? Did you get the infamous “you won a trip” email? Take control of your email now!

Reset Your Password Now!

Resetting your password minimizes the immediate risk to your AT&T email account. Then, change your password again after you've verified all computers on your network are free of malware and all your email settings are valid. For help selecting a strong password and safeguarding it against misuse, please review these password tips.

Secure Your Computers

Secure your computers against malware. Malware can steal passwords and other personal information.

• Scan all computers with an up-to-date anti-virus program. The AT&T Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee is free to qualifying members and includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall protection. If you are an AT&T internet subscriber, click here to download it.
  • Use an up-to-date anti-malware application, as some malware isn't detected by anti-virus scans.
  • Ensure your operating system has been updated with all the recommended security updates from the operating system provider.
  • AT&T ConnecTech®1 can provide fast, expert help when you need it, for an affordable fee. Learn more about AT&T ConnecTech solutions by visiting our website or by calling 866.294.3464.

Create Or Update Account Security Questions And Answers

The security questions and answers that you set at myAT&T allow you and only you to access your account or make changes to your account information.

Review and Update Your Email Settings

Access your settings by hovering over the gear icon at top right, and then selecting Settings. Review the following areas for suspicious activity:

• Email signature - Look for changed or unknown content.
  • Accounts - Check the email accounts listed. Select Edit to view the details of your account(s), and check for any unknown or incorrect accounts listed under POP or Forward. Verify the sending name, reply-to address, spam settings, and any other details. Delete any unknown or incorrect accounts.
  • Vacation response - Disable the Vacation Response except when needed.
  • Blocked addresses - Verify that your email address isn't listed in the Blocked Email Addresses list. If it is, remove it, and select Save.
  • Review your contacts. Be sure the information for your contacts is correct, and delete any unknown or unfamiliar ones.

-ATTU-verseCare

Need more help? Feel free to search the AT&T Community for great answers. You can also get immediate troubleshooting steps from the myAT&T app. Simply login, scroll and click Fix it Now! Support Tools. You can also reach out to our Chat Support 24/7.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 6
Community Support

Re: Think You Were Hacked? - Learn How To Secure Your Email

Do you think your email has been hacked or compromised? Check out some helpful information above to take back control!

-ATTU-verseCare

Need more help? Feel free to search the AT&T Community for great answers. You can also get immediate troubleshooting steps from the myAT&T app. Simply login, scroll and click Fix it Now! Support Tools. You can also reach out to our Chat Support 24/7.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

hacked

I have rec'd several emails from different friends asking me to stop sending them pictures. the first time, I just blew it off but today I got another one. If I've been hacked, what can I do? I changed my password, should I do anything else?

Message 3 of 6
Voyager

Re: hacked

This does zero good if you have been hacked and cannot reset your password because the hackers have changed your password and your security questions. Hackers win if they get a hold a free at&t email account because you will never get back in with AT&T support....completely ridiculous! There has to be a way to access bellsouth email addresses without an account number from 10 years ago. Meanwhile, whoever has control of you account is doing God knows what with it while AT&T does nothing!!!

Message 4 of 6
Community Support

@redman4, send me a private message and I will look in to it.

Need more help? Feel free to search the AT&T Community for great answers. You can also get immediate troubleshooting steps from the myAT&T App. Simply login, scroll and click Fix it Now! Support Tools. You can also reach out to our Chat Support 24/7.

Click here to send me a private message

Have email issues? Contact the Digital Assistance Center at 877-267-2988

Employee Contributor*
Message 5 of 6
Voyager

Sent

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Announcements

Having trouble with your email? Need to change your password? Has your email been hacked? Check out the links below for help! Don't Forget To Search The Forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Additional Support