Protect yourself online
hallvw3's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Thursday, January 23rd, 2014 2:40 AM

The bold icon does not work in mail.

Bold icon works here, but not in the email program for Windows. How do I make the bold icon work?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Bold, Italics, Underline, and Emoticons work when accessing ATT Mail from the Windows 8 Mail App (not live mail). I am a desktop person, so I was able to create a desktop shortcut from help articles on the web and pin it to the taskbar too. 

I did post a suggestion on Yahoo forum to fix their incompatility with IE-11.

So, despite IE-11 introducing a compatibility problem for the desktop user of ATT Mail, your suggestion solves the problem for me completely without waiting on Yahoo to fix their incompatibility.

Thank you Community Manager, ATTDimitriyCM, for your helpful suggestion. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

@gerretw @hallvw3 

Hey guys,

Try this: Log into your email, click on Tools (gear icon), then Compatibility View Settings and add Yahoo.com to the list. IE will ask you if you want to "Leave or stay on the page" (I was on "compose" screen, may simply be because of that), select leave and it'll reload, it should work as expected after that. I restarted Internet Explorer (11) and it appears to be working fine. I recommend still sharing your feedback with Yahoo here.

1.PNG

2.PNG

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

2 Attachments

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello hallvw3,

We might need some more information to be able to give you some tips. What version of Windows are you using? What email program, is it outlook? So is there a bold button but when you click it (with text selected) it doesn't do anything?

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

This is a Windows 8.1/Internet Explorer 11 problem.

Bolding works fine in mail using Firefox. Only IE has the problem.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello @hallvw3 

Thank you for that information. Our email is hosted by Yahoo and unfortunately I've noticed some issues with their site and Internet Explorer, I believe it would be something they'll need to address on their end. You have couple of options, you can use a different browser if you'd like, Firefox is fine, or if you use Windows 8 in Metro (Start) screen a lot, Chrome can be installed as an app. Or you can sign into your email from an email client app and all text formatting will be done in it.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

I will check out your suggestion for signing in via email client rather than browser. The below is extracted from a page I put up to warn potential upgraders to Win 8.1. I realize the problems trace to IE-11, but I was hoping that Yahoo might find a work-around to the IE-11 problems.
Firefox has not yet been officially released for Win 8.1; it kind of works, but after a few minutes, it slowed down so drastically that it became totally unusable.
>
>I installed Thunderbird hoping to get the same capability that Live Mail provided in Windows 8.0; however, Thunderbird's colors were inoperable in the latest version, (24.2.0), at least in Win 8.1: colors cannot be created, colors do not show in emails read with Thunderbird, colors cannot be copied from a web page or a Word document — that applies to text colors as well as text background colors and total background color.
>
>Goggle Mail copies hyperlinked text correctly, but ignores colored text, and has no color buttons for text or background; as a positive, Goggle Mail has no annoying ads like Yahoo (ATT) Mail does.
>
>Yahoo (ATT) Mail is the only program I have found that works with IE-11 in Win 8.1, (correctly copying hyperlinked and colored text); and it has functioning background and text color buttons. Since I use ATT as my service provider, the Yahoo premium mail is free, which includes disposable mail addresses, the ability to block specific addresses, and allows another email account to permanently forward to the Address — all of which I use extensively.

>So, I chose Yahoo (ATT) Mail; however, with Win 8.1/IE-11, unless Yahoo (ATT) Mail is run with Compatibility View Setting, the buttons for Bold, Italics, Underline, and Emoticons are inoperable. Further difficulty: you must remove yahoo.com from the Compatibility View Setting List in order to access any Mail Options other than General, and Yahoo Mail cannot import contacts from Live Mail; so I had to enter the contacts by hand.

>With Chrome, Yahoo Mail runs correctly in Win 8.1; but I still prefer IE enough to live with the "on and off" switching necessary in the Compatibility View Setting.

>These Windows 8.1 Live Mail and Yahoo (ATT) Mail problems were discovered in October with the first upgrades from 8 to 8.1. It has been reported to Microsoft and there is a Microsoft Community forum discussion of the Live Mail problem that has been going on for three months with Microsoft not even acknowledging the problem, (as of 1/26/14).

>However, the problems are being ignored as an upgrade issue. You will not find a reference to it on the web under Windows 8.1 upgrade problems; you will only find references to the problem if you search on that specific failure, and you don't know about the specific failures until you experience them. That is why this page is on the web — to warn potential upgrades from 8.0 to 8.1 and hopefully add a little pressure on Microsoft to address the problems.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Hall

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

That's very detailed, I apologize for the issues you're having. It might be worth a shot to send Yahoo some feedback too, here is the link. It's usually up to web developers to optimize their sites for all browsers.

Dmitriy

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Running ATT Mail through the Windows 8 Mail App gets rid of all the annoying adds too.

Everything in ATT Mail, ( bold, underline, italics, emoticons), is provided by  Windows Mail App except mail options; for that I will occasionally have to go to ATT Mail through a browser.

Thanks again for your suggestion Dimitriy

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for the update!

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi - I have the same problem - all the buttons are greyed out. I have win 7 pro, ATT / yahoo mail and I have no real desire to use Firefox or Chrome.  I have IE 11 - should I delete it and install an earlier version (how would I do it If that is even possible?) It is crazy that they haven't fixed it yet.

How do you suggest i fix the problem?  G

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.