Protect yourself online
lotty's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Monday, November 24th, 2014 8:48 PM

Smtp traffic to Microsoft office 365 smtp server

[Subject edited for better exposure]On my 3rd call. Issue is very simple. I need my home internet connection to allow smtp traffic to Microsoft office 365 smtp server. Appears ATT is blocking port 25 traffic and possibly tripping up TLS start smtp configuration.

I called tech support. They connected me to some foriegn country. People clearly giving me run around. I finally asked for supervisor. THe supervisor at first sounded nice but told me she understood what was going on (i thought ... finally thank goodness ..) then she transfered me to the paid support line.

Really paid support for what .. this is something ATT needs to do from the ATT side. This is well documented via simple google search. ATT needs to allow port 25 traffic for third party smtp traffic. Clearly it is not appropriate to tranfsfer to paid supprt. Futher this supervisor did not mention that is what she was going to do.

Next the guy at paid support gave me the runaround. I explained things once again and it was a complete zoo. ATT clearly has structured this to take advantage of the uninformed.

Finally i was so frustrated with the waste of time that i hung up. I then called customer service to complain. They put me on hold and as of now i have been on hold for 54 minutes and 55 seconds .. nothing but stupid music. I have had time to rediscover this community formum. Figure out i have and old id that i had already setup for this forum. Reset the password .. and add this complaint.

At least it makes me feel better to add the complaint. I am about to give up and hang up.

Bye.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I solved the problem. I decided to try the ATT support chat session and got through straight away. I asked them to unblock port 25 and they did so. No bull and the guy on other side understood exactly what I was asking without having to explain. Once the unblock was in place  the configuration with Microsoft Office 365 came to life and i started receiving the emailalerts.

For the record, for this to work there is configuration on the Microsoft Office 365 hosted exchange side .. a connector has to be configured by source IP (ie the public IP of the RG) within the admin area of Office 365 to allow the traffic to be accepted by office 365 server. I had already peformed the Office 365 configuration BEFORE ever contacting ATT.

In response to your question, Office 365 will accept various types of smtp traffic including TLS encryption but the limiting factor in this scenario are devices I am using to send the smtp traffic. I need to use port 25 for some very basic network alert tools / devices. These devices send me email for power or temp events.The devices are not capable of sending SSL or TLS.

My main objective in posting this is to memorialize the flawed the ATT phone support and to highlight what seems to be a scam to hand basic issues of to the paid support group. This is a shameful practice on part of ATT.  I did not bite on it but hand to endure 2-3 hours of my time tied up on worthless phone calls, on hold, and numerous handoffs and re-verification of basic info.

Guru

• 

498 Messages

9 years ago

Is the Office 365 SMTP server limited to port 25?  Most SMTP servers will accept outgoing mail on ports 25 AND 587.  If 587 works for you the port 25 problem goes away.

Teacher

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have major complaint and no one in that company listen to me.....lies, lies and more lies

are all I receive..................I am talking a line land phone here.   For three weeks I have been

handed one lie after another by people who hang up on you, who promise to get the issue

taken care of etc etc etc etc etc etc.   I am totally beside myself with this issue.   And talking

to people out of this country is disturbing as for the most part they are reading off of a script and have no idea what anything is all about.  All I have asked for is to have my phone line turned

on and I have set up 4-5-6 request and they all get cancelled from someone .....not me.  The

service is disgusting for a company that large.....there is NO customer service and even if

there were the wait time if not good..........45 to over an hour at one time on the phone, when

I had service was very bad........and then on top of that they disconnect the service entirely

even tho I still had service.......what is wrong with AT&T.   At one time I thought they were

very good..........even a customer of ours who works for them........told us the company has

gone down hill and customer service is a thing of the past.   AT&T is the only phone 

service company in our area so I have to choice but to be treated like a second class person and continue to call and for the to continue to lie to me.   Until I call every TV stations and

give them some real good advertising.......then maybe they will jump to it and give me some 

phone service.    

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

You might have to look hard to find it, but MOST areas have third party phone service providers than can give you service using ATT's phone lines and equipment.

The catch is, have to already have an ATT phone installation to use them, but they do exist.

No real point other than to say, it is not true that ATT is the ONLY phone service avaialbe in any areas.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

OH, before I forget, @personnoserv, if you'd really like to try and get your issue addressed, send a private message to attcustomer care with your name, account, a descrition of your needs, a way to contact them, and send it using this link: 

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTU-VerseCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

You can expect a reply withing 2 days.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

ATT is all crap. They just want our money and lie to us and never resolve anything. I just did a survey and a mgr called me of course she was standing up for the cust service person.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I agree 110% - I just made my monthly phone call to ATT because everyone I have talked to lies and makes unapproved changes to my account (including a so-called supervisor, Max).  As of today, I have spoken to about 5 or 6 "support" representatives over the past 4 months, and have spent a ridiculous amount of time on the phone having to explain my issue to every person I am transferred to!  Last month I asked to be transffered to a supervisor and the rep. put me back into the cue for the billing department.

I don't know what has happened to ATT, but I am on the verge of packing up and moving apartments where ATT is not the only available service.  Completely frustrated and fed-up with all of ATT!  They have turned into the most unreliable and poor excuse for a company!

The ONLY thing I am happy about is that I am not alone!

Tutor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I hear ya. I switched from TWC cuz their customer Service sucked. I have to truly say AT&T's much worse, except the 1 Supv who called me back to give me a great deal. Well now I can't get them to honor what was said. Adjustment was requested Monday, and 5 days later I find out it was denied. How in the world did a 125.00 fee plus taxes turn in to 259 with tax?? And after talking to "John", his 'American" name I asked for a Supv. Well been on hold for 52 min now. Next up if they don't fix it is go back to TWC and the best part will be filing a complaint with the BBB. Researching how to do it now, while using AT&T internet. LOVE IT!! Funny how a phone company has such poor connection with their hold music and are closed on Sundays and after 7p during the week. Since it's now 735p I'm guessing i..d..i..o..t John has me in a Queue to nowhere. Freaking m.o.r.o.n.s!! L..M..A..O My original post was declined cuz I used a "bad word" "m.o.r.o.n" OH MY the new "bad word" is "L..M..A..O". GEEZ now i..d..i..o..t is also now allowed. Sensitive peeps they are with their poor customer service!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm tired of AT&T's lousy service. For the past month no matter where I'm at there is no service. We pay too much money each month for failed service. I depend on my phone for work and family that live away. We have been AT&T customers for the last 13 years but Sprint is looking pretty good right now.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

TOTALLY AGREE

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.