For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
dowden1's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, January 13th, 2015 4:09 AM

Slow DSL speeds

Well here is the deal currently I am on the 3mbps plan which I believe is the pro. I am currently on wifi standing next to the router only getting .37mbps. Now I'm no rocket scientist but something doesn't seem right here. Anyone else having this kind of issue?

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

7 years ago

I don’t know when I posted this about speed, but since I upgraded to fiber optic, my speed seems to stay fairly stable. I have had occasions over the last few days when my speed would drop to unacceptable levels, but within a couple of hours it was back to where it should be. Irritating? Yes. If it continues to do this I will contact AT&T. for what I’m paying there should not be any slow speed.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Well...coming from a 6.0 Mbps DSL customer (for YEARS) & after coming across the following article/same information I overheard months ago on CBS Evening News...

DSL Users Still Can't Get Advertised Speeds They Pay For, Nation's Telcos Couldn't Care Less

www.techdirt.com/articles/20151230/06361833196/dsl-users-still-cant-get-advertised-speeds-they-pay-nations-telcos-couldnt-care-less.shtml

...there's really no hope in getting the speeds we actually paid for! PERIOD. There are only 2 options to boost speeds:

Either sign up for ATT's 24 mb/sec 2-yr (initial price) agreement (OR) Make the switch to Xfinity/Comcast.

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

7 years ago

I had expected the DSL to get worse, and AT&T not doing anything about it from a letter I got from them earlier in the year. I took them up on their 24 MB download pkg. as it was cheaper then what I was paying for my 6 MB Internet alone. For the most part it has worked fine. There are times in the day that slow considerably and I’m guessing it is because everything in the DFW area goes through Richardson which creates a bottleneck. Cable though has the same problem unless there have been changes made. Cable slow downs can come from too many people in your neighborhood who have cable Internet getting on at the same time and causing the same problem. I don’t see anyway of getting around it. My term will be up in July. I will contact them about pricing and if I don’t like what they say, I will look elsewhere.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

My DSL service is only running .27mbs.  Contacted AT&T concerning the problem 6/1/2018, spoke with a supervisor named Irene out of the San Diego CA office.  I explained I had switched to a new modem and there wasn't any improvement. She then told me that DSL and landlines were becoming obsolete .  I was then given a fake work order and told a tech would address the problem for me Sunday morning 6/3/2018 between 8am and 12 noon.  Needless to say no one showed up.  Monday I called to check on the work order and discovered I was given a bogus number.  Since this was the way they wanted to treat their customers, I proceeded to file a complaint with my states utility commission.

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

6 years ago

I can understand your feelings as I had a similar problem 2 years ago except my speed had not gotten that slow. The person you talked to is right, DSL is on the way out and they won't usually do anything if your speeds are within what they consider acceptable, which yours definitely were not. I can't explain why she would have given you a false work order number either. When I explained my problem I was told the same thing, but was given the option to go with fiber optic. They came out and ran new line and installed the fiber optic system for me at no charge. I upgraded to the 24Mbs speed from 6 and the monthly bill for 2 years was less then what I was paying for my 6Mbs. I have had very good luck with the new system. My only real complaint is that when I lose power, which is rare, or if their network goes down, which is also rare, I have no phone or Internet. Next month is the end of my 2 year contract and am really not looking forward to find out how much my bill will increase if I do nothing and keep everything like it is. I also am not looking forward to possibly going through the same problem I had with billing 2 years ago if I decide to drop all the extras on the phone. They were telling me that I owed them some money and I didn't. I finally got someone that agreed and couldn't figure out what they were doing, and told me not to worry about it as I was correct and didn't owe them anything. Not much later, I got a notice that told me that my "due" amount was being turned over to a collection agency. I finally got it straightened out when I posted here on the public forum and I got the money due me. I am afraid it is going to be some more of the same next month. I hope not though.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I'm having this up and down speed issue on my DSL (download from 0.06 to 1.8) - I rebooted the modem - sometimes several times a day and I usually get improvement - until now. I was on the phone with tech support yesterday for over 2 hours. I was told I have too many devices connected. Well, I've had the same number of devices for well over a year and it is only in the last week that the download speed issue had been this bad. It seems that since ATT will phase out DSL that they are unwilling to do necessary maintenance to the existing lines. A huge disservice to customers, I wish I had another option but I don't. 

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

6 years ago

Unhappy25

Yes, it seems that AT&T is great at pointing fingers, then admitting they have a problem. I imagine they will continue to serve the DSL customers, but it won't be a high priority. I didn't have as much on my DSL as I do my current system as there wasn't really that much available. With Fiber Optic I currently have 8 items connected and it has not affected my speed. Of course, they are not all used at the same time. My only major problem with AT&T is that the router/modem they supply does not really work well with the download of On Demand programs on Dish. According to the tech at Dish my speed somehow was not getting through the system so what I actually had was considerably less download speed that would eventually just quit the download. They had a free fix for it, but it still doesn't work every time. I am surprised that they didn't offer you and upgrade to Fiber Optic, or is it not yet available in your  area? If it were not, it would seem to me they would be obligated to keep your  DSL up to speed. I have found with AT&T, that when you contact them through the normal support number, those people work off a script and apparently are not capable of thinking things out. You need to get them to connect you to the retention group. They will work with you. Hope this helps a little.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

We have no choice for internet and last night I had a whopping 0.04 mbs on this garbage DSL. I pay 58.00 a month for this trash and 300.00 for cell service but guess what? That service is awful too because we have to have a microcell to use our cell phones in our own house but microcells run on the internet service. We have had techs out and they just switch the hook up from one side of the box to the other and say its the old lines. We have learned to deal with the slow speeds but now the DSL is disconnecting randomly and often.  I pay waaay more than the people who get speeds that seem like a dream to me. 100mbs, 50mbs even 10 or 6 would be great. No less than 1.5mbs my foot! That's a total joke and a lie! Att should be ashamed to provide this "service". 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I am in the same boat as everyone else here.Been with bellsouth.net to Att and never getting the speed I am paying for. 20 years dealing with rude customer service, being lied to, and techs that think I am stupid. I don't live in a big city but 5 miles away from one, but I am stuck with ATT because there is no other option. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.