Protect yourself online
graemepayne's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, December 14th, 2012 11:28 PM

SSL problem when using POP to retrieve AT&T.net email

I use GMAIL for almost all of my personal and business email. Part of the reason is that GMAIL can collect messages, using the POP protocol, from all of my other accounts. This has been working fine with @att.net (hosted by Yahoo!) for over 10 months. 

Early on 11 December 2012 -- the day after Google implemented "STRICT SSL" checking in GMAIL -- GMAIL started getting errors and cannot connect any more. Every attempt fails with an SSL (security certificate) error. Their message about it says the most common reason for an SSL failure is that under the strict SSL rules they automatically reject "Self-Signed" security certificates. (Of course, there could be other reasons as well.) 

I have attempted to find the POP and SSL information on the AT&T "help" site so I can verify that the POP and SSL settings are correct. No success. Since I do not use a Micro$oft e-mail client (remember, I use the GMAIL webmail) in one dialog I have to select "None of these." That sends me to a non-helpful page that puts you in an endless loop. I also tried to fint the security certificate information, with even less success. 

NOTE: it is important to realize that this is NOT a GMAIL problem or a Yahoo! problem. GMAIL has no problem with any other POP accounts it gets for me, and some of those are Yahoo! accounts. So both of those are still working. 

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone else have additional information on this situation?

I have not tried AT&T help by chat or telephone, becasue of abysmal past experience. I  am almost always treated like an ignorant newbie, when in fact I have been using computers probably for twice as long as they have been alive! 

System: homebuilt desktop computers, Ubuntu Linux 12.04, Google Chrome web browser, Apache OpenOffice (office suite) 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks, fixed the problem.  The settings I was using were given me by ATT tech support.  Theirs had the unverified certificate, yours worked.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I also experienced this problem using gmail with downloads from Yahoo. It isn't clear to me where the POP server settings get inserted - I don't see any place in Gmail or Yahoo Mail to put them in...

Your help would be appreciated.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I've found the insertion point - no need to reply. Thanks.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.