Protect yourself online
graemepayne's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, December 14th, 2012 11:28 PM

SSL problem when using POP to retrieve AT&T.net email

I use GMAIL for almost all of my personal and business email. Part of the reason is that GMAIL can collect messages, using the POP protocol, from all of my other accounts. This has been working fine with @att.net (hosted by Yahoo!) for over 10 months. 

Early on 11 December 2012 -- the day after Google implemented "STRICT SSL" checking in GMAIL -- GMAIL started getting errors and cannot connect any more. Every attempt fails with an SSL (security certificate) error. Their message about it says the most common reason for an SSL failure is that under the strict SSL rules they automatically reject "Self-Signed" security certificates. (Of course, there could be other reasons as well.) 

I have attempted to find the POP and SSL information on the AT&T "help" site so I can verify that the POP and SSL settings are correct. No success. Since I do not use a Micro$oft e-mail client (remember, I use the GMAIL webmail) in one dialog I have to select "None of these." That sends me to a non-helpful page that puts you in an endless loop. I also tried to fint the security certificate information, with even less success. 

NOTE: it is important to realize that this is NOT a GMAIL problem or a Yahoo! problem. GMAIL has no problem with any other POP accounts it gets for me, and some of those are Yahoo! accounts. So both of those are still working. 

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone else have additional information on this situation?

I have not tried AT&T help by chat or telephone, becasue of abysmal past experience. I  am almost always treated like an ignorant newbie, when in fact I have been using computers probably for twice as long as they have been alive! 

System: homebuilt desktop computers, Ubuntu Linux 12.04, Google Chrome web browser, Apache OpenOffice (office suite) 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Use this POP server: inbound.att.net

on Port 995

Fixed this problem for me

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have had this same problem for the past few weeks.  Gmail sends me the security error message.  I did call ATT and for $15/mo or a one time charge of around $50, they would gladly take control of my computer and solve this problem for me.  Ask me if I was irritated about that.  I deferred and have been searching for the solution.  ANy help??

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I wouldn't consider myself super-savvy, but I too have several emails that come into GMAIL. For the last week, the only one that isn't working is my att.net account. Aggravating.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

THANKS! Making this change immediately fixed the problem. 

Old POP server: postoffice.worldnet.att.net:995 (what they gave me at sign-up, a couple of years ago)

New POP server: inbound.att.net:995 (as suggested by lopcroix

Gee, it would be nice if AT&T actually communicated changes like this to to customers. Having it easy to find in the online help would be nice, a well. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I had the exact same issue (only it took me 3 weeks to figure out that I wasn't getting att email in my inbox). THANK YOU lopcroix!! You fixed my problem, too!.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I kept waiting and waiting for this to fix itself.  I researched this earlier, but didn't see your response.  Used it today and all is fixed!  Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Yea! It worked. I didn't want to pay ATT $50 either. Seems like a simple question like that could be part of my "large" bill.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I know what all are reporting and have similar issues for no reason just one account, and is usually my primary, the other accounts work just fine. They keep telling me, "we only support webmail using your browser not any email clients." I tell them that is fine with me just fix your system as I use Pegasus Mail for about 20 years and only have had issues with AT&T.
TIA, CU L8R,
'd'

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I FINALLY FOUND the real answer to this tremendously frustrating problem (which I have had over and over again): ALL the credit goes to: http://www.pixelsplasher.com/_knowledgebase/How-to-Download-Emails-Yahoo!Mail-Free-Account-Microsoft-Outlook/ Yahoo! Email Incoming and Outgoing Server Configuration These are the configuration settings to be setup in Microsoft Outlook and other email programs to enable downloading or sending of emails with Yahoo! Mail (Which is how AT&T email is now set-up - thus ignore the use of "Yahoo email." THIS WORKS --- trust me and you will feel so happy that you will want to share it with others too!! Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.mail.yahoo.com port: 995 SSL: enabled Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.mail.yahoo.com port: 465 SSL: enabled

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have tried EVERYTHING ... including attempting to change my pop server to asia (which is not listed). Extremely frustrated at this point.  I called yahoo and they said its a microsoft problem.  I called microsoft and they said outlook does not support free yahoo, even though it has worked for several years up until a month ago.  If anyone has any suggestions please HELP!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.