Protect yourself online
Ak35b6HrGL80N2n4X6YW891R57CSoF's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, December 14th, 2013 9:21 PM

SMTP port 587 just stopped sending emails

I've been sending emails via smtp.att.yahoo.com port 587; non-SSL for years now using an sbcglobal account. It stopped working in past couple of days. 

Is this an incident that needs resolved within AT&T? Or a policy change?

I have two security cameras that do not have the ability to send via SSL, and the feeds from the event (motion detected) have stopped being emailed. I would prefer to get these working again. As opposed to buying new hardware.

TrendNet Model TV-IP110W and TV-IP410WN.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hello Everyone,

As of December 11, 2013 the use of Non-SSL settings on client mail stopped sending and receiving. This includes the use of SSL override port 587. AT&T began using SSL about 5 years ago but not all of our customers had updated their client settings.

AT&T Yahoo mail servers will no longer allow to send or receive email if email settings have not been updated to the current client email settings:

• Incoming mail port #: 995, secure connection (SSL) checked
• Outgoing mail port #: 465, secure connection (SSL) checked

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

I'm experiencing the exact same problem.  I use Panasonic IP cameras in the same manner.  They are spread across two separate ATT U-Verse accounts, and all cameras on both accounts stopped sending e-mails at the same time.  All other functions of the accounts still work fine, and the cameras are still accessible and otherwise working fine.  It is definitely related directly to using port 587.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for tagging on. Hopefully your inclusion in this issue can garner some help and eventual working solution. Cheers!

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

You're welcome.  I also sent a PM to tech support, if I get a resolution and it's not reported here I will relay it.

Former Employee

• 

50 Messages

10 years ago

If you just started having trouble with your email client, it is most likely related to a change that took place on December 11, 2013. Please use this article to update your email settings.

Check this out

www.att.com/updatesettings

Client based email applications will require SSL to get the emails delivered.

I believe you might have to replace the H/W.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks.  Yes, that's probably what's going on, but those instructions make no specific mention of port 587.  All of the settings shown are what I have been using for a few years now for everything else (i.e. other software e-mail clients), all with SSL.

Port 587 is what all of us have been using with older hardware that didn't support SSL.  Hundreds of dollars worth of hardware, which is probably now useless.  Thanks ATT.  Is it really that big of a deal to maintain one non-SSL server?

Another work-around, of course, is to use a third-party e-mail provider with their own SMTP servers that do not require SSL, they're out there, but of course that is additional expense.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, everyone!

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your email. If raufshake's post didn't help you, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can investigate further.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks Mariana.  We're still waiting for a definitive answer:  Is ATT now requiring SSL for use of port 587?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am unable to access my internal POSTFIX service (with STARTTLS) via port 587, probably because of an ISP level port block.  I have setup a port forward in my router from external port 4587 to internal port 587 and this works fine as a workaround for accessing the server remotely, but when a portable email device such as my phone is connected to my home WI-FI, I then would have to manually change the port back to 587 or reconfigure POSTFIX to listen on a different port completely all the time.  Neither solution is ideal and I was wondering if I could just get the port 587 block lifted on my account so that I don't have to jump through hoops just to access my own computers in my own home.

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

Hello @joshfrayer,

Hate to say it, but we don't have that ability (by we I mean customer care teams, or customer service). And I have never heard of anyone getting that port unblocked. So you will have to change the port on your side.. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.