Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Robo Spam

Robo Spam

I get roughly 30 spam emails per day from one source.  The email address always has a prefix of "cbd".  I block them, but they come back by changing the suffix after the @ in an infinite combination of numbers.  I have not been able to find a way to stop these spam messages.  Please let me know if there is a solution

Message 1 of 382
Highlighted
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by forrestpate48
‎07-15-2018 1:02 PM

Are these emails appearing in your inbox?  If so, based solely on what you say, i.e., email address always has a prefix of "cbd", set up a filter (not a blocked address) that matches any From address that begins with "cbd" and move the matches to your spam or trash box.  You cannot stop such emails from being received entirely so blocked addresses will not work.  There is no pattern matching supported in block addresses other than entire domains.

If they are already being moved into the spam box by the att/yahoo spam filters then the att/yahoo spam filters take precedence over user defined settings.    FWIW, spam eventually (30 days) ages out of the spam box so that stuff doesn't infinity accumulate there.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 382
ACE - Expert

You might also try marking them as spam rather than trying to block. I’ve found the spam filter to usually be quite good and once I flag an email as spam, it does quite good at catching the rest.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 382
Tutor

I'm getting roughly 30 per day as well from a cbd@ address all going to spam. Rather than going to spam I would like to stop them entirely.

Message 4 of 382
ACE - Expert

@bama_mark - You can't stop them because the blocked address setting does not support any pattern matching other than blocking an entire domain.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
Message 5 of 382

I would like to now why AT&T does not set up the option of using an asterisk or some other symbol to  represent a "wild card" that represents any letter (or any number of letters) such as cbd@*.de for blocking.  That way, those messages will go directly to trash rather than filling up the spam folder.  Messages in the Spam folder may contain email we want to review. 

Message 6 of 382
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought I was the only one getting these because one of my accounts associated with my email was hacked.  I changed every password to every account I've ever owned.  I continuously keep getting tons of these spam emails every day and it's driving me crazy. I have sent numerous emails to the abuse@att.net email and I get nothing in return.  Was Yahoo / att.net part of a breach and they aren't telling anyone about it?  If anyone finds any answers please let me know

Message 7 of 382
Mentor

Well, looks like we all are victims of this clowns email spam. Too bad the F.C.C. couldn't put something into place to stop them. Does anyone know who CBD is ? I wrote CBD and they said it is not part of their company. So any suggestions? I send them to my spam folder and block each of the also. But lord this clown has a bunch of addresses.

Message 8 of 382
Tutor

If AT&T can't block the cbd spam entirely, the limit of 500 blocked email addresses should be increased.  I have used almost half my limit on cbd spam alone.  It goes to the spam folder, but is still annoying.

Message 9 of 382
Scholar

This is not solved.  I feel strongly that ATT could stop this prolific spammer.  It is one major professional spammer that has been plaguing ATT Yahoo email for years and it has not been stopped.

ATT could block all email with the prefix cbd@  I used to have a virtually spam-free email account until about 3 weeks ago and now I receive 50 to 75 per each 24 hour period.

Even though most go into my spam folder, it is not right and it is extremely annoying.

I have written to ATT at: abuse@att.net

I think it is a good idea for each of you to also write ATT at the above email address and ask ATT to stop this spammer, at least from inundating us with these useless and idiotic spam emails.

Message 10 of 382
ACE - Expert

It's as solved as it's going to be from the receiver end.  Sorry you don't like it.  As I said elsewhere the email service provider shouldn't be in the business of censoring email of any kind.  In this case the att/yahoo spam filters are doing their job, i.e., filtering the stuff into the spam box.  That's where the email server provider's responsibility ends.  Stuff that gets into your inbox is your problem.  That you can try to filter yourself with the filter settings.  If they are deficient (and they are) then that's a legitimate complaint.  You can always choose to use another email service provider or use an email client app with decent email filtering capabilities.

FWIW (not much) you could also try this,

FCC Consumer Complaint Center (Internet Complaints)

which is probably just as good as their form for reporting spam (robo) phone calls, i.e., useless.  OK I guess it works sometimes if 10 million people file a report for the same spammer! Man Frustrated

Message 11 of 382
Scholar

I appreciate your opinion, but there is a lot more consumers can do.  ATT has its abuse email for a reason.  Spamming is abuse, so the more consumers make ATT more aware, the better.  And I am sure many others are not going to just accept abusive spammers and not do anything about it.  ATT is very high tech and has always taken care of its customers.

I appreciate the link, but I have sent reports there and others this week.  In this case, this is one particular spammer, which i have identified and email service providers will work with the FCC and other entities if they are made aware of information that is verified.  I am not going to say anything else, but this has been escalated. 

I have been on the internet since 1999, so I am aware that I can use another service.  I have been a loyal ATT customer for over 25 years.

Message 12 of 382
Teacher

I'm having the same issue with this particular spammer. I get at least 30 a day. As with the original poster, they all go to the spam folder but it's still a nuisance. I've added these addresses to the block list but I guess I've filled it up because I can't add anymore. I have sent a complaint to ATT. Since the emails always end with .de I'm assuming they originate in Germany am I correct?

Message 13 of 382
ACE - Expert

@Mike208:

Any attempts to handle this spam via any of your settings (which would include blocked addresses) will have no effect since, as I said earlier, the yahoo spam filters have precedence over any user specified settings.

You are correct that .de indicates a Germany location.  But since an email's From info is so easily spoofed that location may be meaningless.  You could look at the routing information (view raw text) and see the path the email takes to reach you from the sender.  That may indicate the point of origin but that info could be suppressed too by the sender's ISP.

Message 14 of 382
Mentor

Thanks for the Info. I have tried checking the ISP and no luck there either. Who ever CBD is he or she is very good at covering their tracks. 

Message 15 of 382
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support