Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Port 25 blocked on my Static IP address since june 1st?!?

Teacher

Port 25 blocked on my Static IP address since june 1st?!?

Been running an exchange 2010 server over assigned static IP address for years now. We moved to new location and transferred service receiving new IP address. Everything worked fine for last few months. As of June 1st all traffic started being blocked outbound over port 25. This is a business account not residential. How do I get help resolving this. I can telnet through port 587 to all the email servers that are stuck in my exchange queues. If I try to telnet over port 25 it will not connect. I am not on any block lists and the server has been locked down from being a relay server for years now. No settings changed server side. All test say ISP is blocking port 25. Please help we need to be able to send our emails to operate as a business.

Message 1 of 37
Mentor

Re: Port 25 blocked on my Static IP address since june 1st?!?

Same issues here. Went a full day on Friday before we were aware that emails were not flowing out. Missed some proposal deadlines and cause some irreversible customer relations issues.

Apparently, even thought we have TWO DSL BUSINESS accounts (one primary and one backup) this is effecting both of them.

It appears that ATT does not consider CORPORATE DSL accounts as "real" business accounts. Pity.

Message 16 of 37
Tutor

I am having same issue; have AT&T business DSL internet with assigned static IP range for year have been running my email server with SMTP port 25 open; have used all of best practices including firewalls and other tools to proactively prevent any of my email users from sending spam.  since 48 hours ago AT&T has blocked my SMTP port 25 without advanced notice that has impacted my personal emails and business emails and has caused a lot of trouble for me and my users for past 48 hours. I have contacted their support over 30 times and still the port is not opened although they gave me bunch of ticket and case numbers and promises that it will be resolved in less than 2-3 hours. This being said while majority of their technical support staff just play you around and drop the call after wasting over half an hour of your time without answering or trying to send you to connecttech to sell you desktop help desk support and bunch of other similar dead ends.  i have been told by few technical supports that their interface that allowed opening and managing port 25 has been under maintenance and they are aware of this outage impacting port 25.  I am not sure if that is true or not but I am very disappointed and already looking for alternative connection. 

Message 17 of 37
ACE - Expert

@MO_MIKE  and @behbah, if you have not already done so, Private Message your information to @ATTBusinessCare@ATTDSLCare or @ATTU-verseCare as appropriate to your account type.  Let's make sure they have a stack of actual account requests to report to network manglement.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 37
Mentor

Is there anyone with this issue that is able to do a packet dump. 

I'm in the Chicago region. I'm getting a Type 3 Code 13 ICMP packet from a Chicago area AT&T ip whenever I try a port 25 connection. Maybe if we collect the IPs involved, someone higher up at AT&T will recognize that list and figure out what this is. 

The ip I'm seeing is 67.38.100.97

Message 19 of 37
Mentor

The worst part about this is the fact that email is a major part of ALL of our business communications. To have the ability to send emails disrupted is one thing. To have it STILL going on 120 hours since it started is another. This is not like a natural disaster that they have to rebuild infrastructure, this is an issue of ATTs own doing. AT least they could release port 25, and allow their business customers to return to service THEN figure out how to block port 25 from residential users, if they wish.

I am a communications consultant, who has recommended ATT services to thousands to my clients over the years. I think it is time for these recommendations to cease.

Message 20 of 37

I'm seeing the problem on regular DSL in the Richmond, CA area. Using tcptraceroute (TCP version of traceroute that can send SYN packets to a specific port), my port 587 packets go right through from my company gateway to my personal outside mail server (running on a Linode VM). Port 25 packets get blocked on the first hope after my DSL modem. The local gateway in the modem responds but the next hop doesn't. So this looks to be a setting in the firewall in the DSLAM.

BTW, I got MUCH better tech support response yesterday when I called in at 877-353-3668. Almost no wait on the phone queue and the tech was able to quickly get a ticket entered and escalated. Still waiting for an update. Right now we're still blocked. 

Message 21 of 37

As a temporary workaround, I'm using my $5/month Linode VM server as an email gateway. It's set to relay all mail only from my blocked IP and accepts connections on port 587. Linode bills by the hour so you could set this up without too much difficulty and (hopefully) pay pennies while AT&T sorts this out. Yeah, it sucks that we have to do this, but at least it's a way to keep the business operating until they do. 

Message 22 of 37
Mentor

In addition to this forum, I had been working with some AT&T tech's on a different one.

They have successfully removed my block and indicated they are working on changes that will address things system wide.

They also suggest a reboot on the modem to force a new login session on the PPPOE.

I am able to send e-mails.

Message 23 of 37
Mentor

Congratulations!

Is your service on DSL or UVERSE?

Still blocked on my DSL lines

Message 24 of 37
Mentor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by BrewtisSD
‎06-06-2017 11:42 AM

Business class DSL with a static line.

Did you reboot the modem?

This was the thread in the other forum: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31445602-General-Business-class-DSL-outbound-port-25-blocked

I don't know if the change is all the way rolled out--or if perhaps it is just in the Chicago area. 

And this is what they suggested:

>we found the root cause and have fixed it.  Anyone else that should

>have open port 25 access needs to either reboot their DSL modem or

>manually drop and reconnect your session to clear the port 25 filter.

Tags (1)
Message 25 of 37
Voyager

Thanks for the update!  I just rebooted our DSL modem (business account, static IP), and port 25 became unblocked.  Outgoing emails finally flowing out again.  Smiley Happy 

Previously we also had the same blocked port 25 issue since last Thursday.. what a major inconvenience!

Message 26 of 37
Tutor

My SMTP port is also open now.  I haven't receive any response back from AT&T regarding the case numbers yet.  I just saw @DyerUser 's post here, disconnected my AT&T business DSL modem's PPPOE connection, waited for 20 seconds and reconnected and the port is now open again. 

Message 27 of 37
Teacher

Can confirm from Southern California that resetting the router to initiate a new session has returned port 25 to normal behavior. Email flow is working again now that AT&T has finally corrected their mistake. Thanks everyone in this thread, especially @DyerUser and @JefferMC. Your efforts are well appreciated.

It is beyond frustrating however that it took since Thursday night for AT&T to correct this. The abysmal customer service I received over the phone and the extreme rudeness of the so called supervisor I spoke with has left a lasting impression of what to expect from AT&Ts business model. Customer service departments are so fractured and disconnected from each other it is literally by all definitions not functional. It truly took forum members (not paid att employees) to get to the bottom of this and push the solution. It makes no sense that parts of the fees we pay goes to pay these phone techs to rudely tell us we don't know what we are talking about because we are saying things they aren't trained in.

Message 28 of 37
Mentor

@BrewtisSD I'd agree with your disappointed sentiment about the fractured nature of AT&T and the inability of the front-line support to understand the type of Business/Static IP issues like this.  Not to mention the timeframe.

However, I'd also like to point out that it was some above and beyond action by dedicated AT&T personnel who also put in time on forums like this that actually cut through whatever Gordian Knot was going on internally to cause it.  We just raised enough of a stink to get some attention. 

I can remember when I first got DSL, many, many years ago, the technical level of support available from AT&T was excellent.  Some of those people are still around, and I'm glad we can at least get their attention.

It is a shame, though, that we cannot even get the issue raised via standard support channels to get action.

Message 29 of 37

Working again in Richmond, CA after a modem reboot. 

Message 30 of 37
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support