For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
BrewtisSD's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Monday, June 5th, 2017 1:17 AM

Port 25 blocked on my Static IP address since june 1st?!?

Been running an exchange 2010 server over assigned static IP address for years now. We moved to new location and transferred service receiving new IP address. Everything worked fine for last few months. As of June 1st all traffic started being blocked outbound over port 25. This is a business account not residential. How do I get help resolving this. I can telnet through port 587 to all the email servers that are stuck in my exchange queues. If I try to telnet over port 25 it will not connect. I am not on any block lists and the server has been locked down from being a relay server for years now. No settings changed server side. All test say ISP is blocking port 25. Please help we need to be able to send our emails to operate as a business.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

I'm seeing the problem on regular DSL in the Richmond, CA area. Using tcptraceroute (TCP version of traceroute that can send SYN packets to a specific port), my port 587 packets go right through from my company gateway to my personal outside mail server (running on a Linode VM). Port 25 packets get blocked on the first hope after my DSL modem. The local gateway in the modem responds but the next hop doesn't. So this looks to be a setting in the firewall in the DSLAM.

BTW, I got MUCH better tech support response yesterday when I called in at 877-353-3668. Almost no wait on the phone queue and the tech was able to quickly get a ticket entered and escalated. Still waiting for an update. Right now we're still blocked. 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

As a temporary workaround, I'm using my $5/month Linode VM server as an email gateway. It's set to relay all mail only from my blocked IP and accepts connections on port 587. Linode bills by the hour so you could set this up without too much difficulty and (hopefully) pay pennies while AT&T sorts this out. Yeah, it (Edited per community guidelines) that we have to do this, but at least it's a way to keep the business operating until they do. 

(edited)

Mentor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

In addition to this forum, I had been working with some AT&T tech's on a different one.

They have successfully removed my block and indicated they are working on changes that will address things system wide.

They also suggest a reboot on the modem to force a new login session on the PPPOE.

I am able to send e-mails.

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

7 years ago

Congratulations!

Is your service on DSL or UVERSE?

Still blocked on my DSL lines

Voyager

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Thanks for the update!  I just rebooted our DSL modem (business account, static IP), and port 25 became unblocked.  Outgoing emails finally flowing out again.  🙂 

Previously we also had the same blocked port 25 issue since last Thursday.. what a major inconvenience!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

My SMTP port is also open now.  I haven't receive any response back from AT&T regarding the case numbers yet.  I just saw @DyerUser 's post here, disconnected my AT&T business DSL modem's PPPOE connection, waited for 20 seconds and reconnected and the port is now open again. 

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Can confirm from Southern California that resetting the router to initiate a new session has returned port 25 to normal behavior. Email flow is working again now that AT&T has finally corrected their mistake. Thanks everyone in this thread, especially @DyerUser and @JefferMC. Your efforts are well appreciated.

It is beyond frustrating however that it took since Thursday night for AT&T to correct this. The abysmal customer service I received over the phone and the extreme rudeness of the so called supervisor I spoke with has left a lasting impression of what to expect from AT&Ts business model. Customer service departments are so fractured and disconnected from each other it is literally by all definitions not functional. It truly took forum members (not paid att employees) to get to the bottom of this and push the solution. It makes no sense that parts of the fees we pay goes to pay these phone techs to rudely tell us we don't know what we are talking about because we are saying things they aren't trained in.

Mentor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

@BrewtisSD I'd agree with your disappointed sentiment about the fractured nature of AT&T and the inability of the front-line support to understand the type of Business/Static IP issues like this.  Not to mention the timeframe.

However, I'd also like to point out that it was some above and beyond action by dedicated AT&T personnel who also put in time on forums like this that actually cut through whatever Gordian Knot was going on internally to cause it.  We just raised enough of a stink to get some attention. 

I can remember when I first got DSL, many, many years ago, the technical level of support available from AT&T was excellent.  Some of those people are still around, and I'm glad we can at least get their attention.

It is a shame, though, that we cannot even get the issue raised via standard support channels to get action.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

Working again in Richmond, CA after a modem reboot. 

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for all your help @JefferMC, finally saw the responses being returned on port 25....

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.