Protect yourself online
chuckywoodchuck's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, September 10th, 2013 3:08 PM

Outbound email isn't working again

A few days ago, my outbound email quit sending, but inbound still works.  Had a similar problem with we switched from DSL to U-verse (using a bellsouth.net extension).  For some reason the problem has shown up again, and tech chat at U-verse isn't helpful.  Don't need to reset passwords as the password for inbound works.  Using outbound.att.net and port 465 with SSL checked yes.   Nothing has changed on either my wife's or my computer setting wise, but neither computer can send emails as of right now.  Does anyone know if there is something down on ATT's side or if different settings are needed?

When we first set up U-verse, neither inbound or outbound mail would work, and we had to fiddle with the settings/ports until we found the right combination.  For some reason, with a bellsouth.net extension, the settings as prescribed by U-verse don't work on inbound.  We had to keep the mail.bellsouth.net and port 110 for that (and that still works today).   The SMTP settings worked with what ATT prescribed, but something has changed somewhere. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

You need to set your client up like the first document says: Windows Live Mail.  That will work.  Well it has for everyone that has posted here with a problem.  Then look at this Client Email Stating Wrong User Name or Password and it should all work from there.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

In addition, there are no error messages, you just can't get past the login for sending messages.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Are you using a mail client on your computers or is this problem with webmail?  If a client what are you using and what version?  Outlook 2007, etc.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

This is the PC client.  It is Windows Live Mail Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3555.0308)

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Please take a look at this document for the recommended set up instructions to work with U-verse.

Windows Live Mail

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

No luck there.  I remember trying the yahoo extensions when I first joined, and they wouldn't work then either.

With both POP and SMTP extensions set to the yahoo.att.com extensions, you get a endless log-in requests.  (you put in your user name and password, and the screen pops right back up asking for it again)  If you finally cancel that window out, the error message is that the password is incorrect.  Still using the same password that has historically worked.

If you go back to the mail.bellsouth.net extension that allows email to come in, the password works Ok again, and mail downloads.  Using this setup with the yahoo extension for the SMTP outbound, the system shows an error, but there is no error message associated with the screen.

I still think something has changed on ATT's side as the outbound.att.net at port 465 was working fine until a couple of days ago.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Well, that actually seems to be working now, however I also had to put in my entire email address when logging into the client.  So instead of the short user name and password that always worked, I had to put in the bellsouth.net extension.

Makes me wonder if that would have fixed it to start with.

Thank you for all the help.  Definitely lead me in the right direction.  Now I need to make sure the client always puts the full email address in when logging in (not sure how to get it to do that)

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Why can't the people at the chat line help someone like this?  I would assume that this has been a common question, and they don't have a clue.   That was the frustrating part about all of it.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Look in the windows live email document and under item 18 it shows where you put your full email address in the area that says "Log in ID"  That will log you in with the full email address.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.