For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
CommunityEAS's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, July 25th, 2017 4:30 PM

New email account settings for PC with Windows Mail (ver 6.06..., circa 2006, Windows Vista Home)

I had AT&T internet service installed last week (U-verse wi-fi) but cannot seem to get a new email account set up properly in Windows Mail on my PC.  I have tried using all of the various settings in AT&T support topics, but still get either "can't send" errors or just blank errors.  I deleted my old email account with another provider/server, so I now have only the AT&T one.  Can someone point me to the right settings for my system so that I can get that part done right, and then see what errors I might still get?  Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

Based on that message there are two possibilities I can think of that may be the problem.  First, check that you enabled authentication for the smtp (outgoing) server.  Second, if there is a separate setting for smtp id and password, recheck it.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

The settings are here.  I am not familiar with Windows Mail so I can't tell you where to put those settings.  But in most mail clients it's pretty straight forward to figure what goes where.  Pop/IMAP and it's server, SMTP server, security (ssl), ports, login id and password (although some clients prompt for the password), optionally name and email address you want recipients to see as the sender.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I used all of those settings (that's what I already had), and get this error message when I try to send an email:

The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider.

The rejected e-mail address was 'eastevens1956@att.net'. Subject 'Another test of sending from AT&T', Account: 'att.net', Server: 'outbound.att.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 5.7.1 Authentication required', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

So far, so good.  I think that fixed it.  Thank you very much!

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

@CommunityEAS:

You marked your last post as the solution.  But for others who might find this thread looking for a solution to the same problem you should have defined "that"!  So was the problem because you didn't set authentication for the smtp server?  Or was it because that email client has a separate smtp id and password setting?  Or is "that" something else?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Sorry for being vague.  The fix was setting authentication for the stmp server.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Even with the presented solutions I can not send emails. Last week I was able to do it. What has changed for my @pacbell.net settings?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.