For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
michale32086's profile

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Wednesday, October 21st, 2015 11:01 AM

New SMTP Settings For Former Bellsouth Customers

It's my understanding that ATT just switched over to different SMTP settings recently..

The new setup uses the email settings for bellsouth customers as authentication..

I have never used my bellsouth email and have no idea if I even HAVE a working bellsouth.net email...

I was able to find out that I DO have a bellsouth.net email and, after a couple false starts, was able to redo the password...

So, now I have a working and valid bellsouth.net email address to use as authentication for my other email accounts.

Problem is, it's not working.  😞

I connect to outbound.att.net on port 587...  

I have my authetication set up as indicated in the attachment..

But I still get RESPONSE 5.7.1 AUTHENTICATION REQUIRED error..

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...email1.jpg

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

i ran into the same problem after they shutdown the old mail.bellsouth.net server.  i could be wrong about this, but i believe that the new authentication requires the use of an att/yahoo account.  i don't have that either.

in the end, i had to use the servers from the vendor i purchase email services from.  it requires authentication and the use of a port other than 25.  att is still blocking port 25.

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

try port 465 and make sure ssl is enabled.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

ATT did just retire some old e-mail servers, but the new e-mail servers should handle the old domain name accounts just fine. Glad you got the correct new settings.

Good job.

In case you still need it, the link for all the ATT domain e-mail server settings is here: 

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB424295&DPSLogout=true&_requestid=1560608

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 years ago

No connection on port 465 at all..  

587 seems to be the only port it wants to talk to me on...

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 years ago

Well, I got something different...

email2.jpg

I also don't have an SSL option for authentication..

I have STARTTLS or TLS...

email3.jpg

Using the STARTTLS gives me that above error code...

2 Attachments

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

i'm making a guess here as i don't recognise that dialog box (i use linux).  but it could be that the server does not support TLS.  i ran into that with godaddy.com.  they support SSL but not TLS.

do you have an SSL option?

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

a simple way to test if you have connectivity to the server and its port is to use telnet.  if you can get to the server, it will respond.

from a dos window:

telnet outbound.att.net 587
Trying 67.195.15.5...
Connected to outbound.att.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp.mail.att.net ESMTP ready
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

ctrl ] will bring you to the telnet prompt and quit to exit telnet.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 years ago

I am using Windows 10 and will likely have to install a TELNET client..

The email program is an obscure program called THE BAT...  I started using it a long time ago because, at the time, it was the only email program I could find that allowed multiple email addresses within the same program..

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

check with your email service provider to see if they have an outbound clear text smtp port other than 25.  it would probably require authentication.  but it might get you going until you can get the ssl/tls issues solved.

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

i should have said this before hitting send.  see if your provider has their own ssl/tls outbound server and bypass att's servers altogether.  i did that with godaddy and don't touch the new att stuff.  as far as i know, the only port att is blocking is 25.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.