For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
Portia22's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, April 13th, 2018 7:16 AM

My free sbcglobal.net email account was hacked and now I can not receive emails, how do I fix that?

I have a free sbcglobal.net email that I have been using for well over ten years so it is connected to everything I do. Yesterday, my email account was hacked. So I reset my password online via the AT&T website. I am able to get back into my email account and it says that it is synching regularly but I have not received any incoming emails since I reset my password last night on April 11th (and I usually receive over 200 emails every day). I sent myself a couple of Test emails which I can see from my Sent box did get sent and I sent other people emails and they received those emails. So apparently, I am able to send emails but I can no longer receive emails. I am thinking that whoever hacked my account, messed up the inoming email function for my email. I was on the phone with AT&T support for several hours yesterday but all they could do was to help me reset my password 4 times which of course is not even the issue. I can access my account with the new password, I just can not receive new emails.  PLEASE HELP! 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

And now I am getting calls from my friends and family that the hacker is communicating with them via my email...

Are there any of these newer emails in your Sent mailbox?  Someone doesn't need to get into your account to send emails that appear to come from you.  Once an email address is known it is simple to spoof the sender address that a recipient sees in the From: field of an email.  You can even do it in yahoo email.  Remember I said to check the Accounts setting reply-to (there's also a name field I forgot to mention).  Those kind of settings are in most every email program.  Those change what would appear in the From: field the recipient sees.  So once an email address is "out in the wild" there's no way to stop someone from using it in their own email program without even getting into yours.  Of course those won't be in your Sent email box if they use a different emailer.

If they are spoofing your email address without getting into your email about the only thing your recipients may be able to do is maybe create a filter (rule) to test for some unique string if possible in those emails to send them into their email trash.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Here's the things that I recommend you do and/or check.

• Change your password (and maybe the security questions too, but password is usually "good enough").  Ok, you say you did that.
  • Log into your webmail and click gear->settings.  In the webmail settings panel you will see a number of commands on the left.  The ones that need checking are Accounts, Filters, and Blocked Addresses.
  • Accounts.  Click that and choose an account to bring up that account's settings panel.  Scroll down the panel to see the Reply-to address and see if it is suspicious.  Blank it out if you don't want that set.  Scroll down further to see the forwarding setting and make sure it is blank or what you want.  When you are done click the Save button to update that account's settings.
  • Filters.  Look for suspicious filters and subtle filter names like '.' (a dot).  Remove them and click the Save button.
  • Blocked Addresses.  Make sure no addresses are defined who's email you don't want blocked.  Click Save to update those settings.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you so much for these suggestions. I was able to do as you instructed for the Reply to Sender, Forwarding and Blocked messages parts but I could not find anything referring to Filters. So as of now, I still am not receiving any new messages. And now I am getting calls from my friends and family that the hacker is communicating with them via my email, still trying to get someone to send them money. So the hacker has definitely hijacked my incoming emails and somehow routed them to him or herself.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I did not send this to you.  My email was not hacked, it had something to do with the windows

1. account being closed because of something being lapsed .  I have to get a new tax or contract for windows.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Your account was not hacked! 

Sbcglobal went out of business 20 YEARS ago. AT&T grandfathered sbcglobal.net and SNET.net accounts in  but AT&T then left CT around 3 years ago. They are slowly removing all the old SNET and sbcglobal accounts. What I don't understand is why are people upset that the email address they're using from a company that WENT OUT OF BUSINESS 20 YEARS AGO !!! You are no longer paying AT&T for your DSL internet but expect them to keep maintaining your email address that they were nice enough to allow you to continue using in the first place. Unfortunately, most of the tech support people at AT&T don't realize that AT&T is getting rid of these outdated email accounts. They started doing this in November of 2017. Most likely you had your email incorrectly setup as a POP3 account so you will actually still be able to read your old email. If you have it setup the "right" way as an IMAP account, then your old emails are gone  for good. I say right and wrong because the world started switching to IMAP decades ago so that you could read your email on multiple devices and have them all synchronize. POP3 is really only meant to be read from a single device. If you've ever wondered why your sent mail folders don't show the same emails and when you create a new email folder it doesn't show up on all devices  you are setup using the POP3 standard and your IT guy should be fired! Once again, sbcglobal went out of business in 1998. I think 20 years was long enough to find a new email address! 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Your Windows account was not closed either! That is a common scam that will try to get you to buy or renew your "Windows license". The windows license WILL NEVER EXPIRE!!! 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

how can I fix this. my friends are getting strange emails not from me

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

my friends are getting strange emails not from me

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.