Protect yourself online
blgtiger1's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, February 10th, 2011 11:54 PM

Microsoft Outlook 2011 MAC Version Email Configuration

I'm trying to configure my Microsoft Outlook 2011 MAC email program to send and receive my att.net account.  I can't seem to find the configuration information.  I tried using the pop.att.yahoo.com port 995 and smtp.att.yahoo.com port 465 configuration as indicated in a previous version of Outlook.  I can receive email sent to my att.net email account but I can't send from att.net email account using Outlook 2011 MAC Version.  I receive Error Code:  3253.  

Has anyone run across this issue and found a solution to this error?  Please advise.  Thanks! 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

those are the right settings, its just when you add the account info, you need to uncheck the box that says configure automatically, than add account, after you do that then add all the info they gave you, it should work fine, mine did.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

in Oulook go to tools 

accounts

click bottom + sign

click e-mail

add your email address 

add password

uncheck the box Configure automatically

incoming server is inbound.att.net

check box overide default port, then add 995

check use SSL to connect

outgoing server is outbound.att.net

check box overide default port, then add 465

check box use SSL to connect 

then click More options....

under  Authentication scroll to use incoming server info

then click ok

close the window and go to Home on outlook and click Send/Recive, it should work

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Pamelaz,

I'm running Apple OS X v10.8.2 (12C60) and MS Office for Mac 2011, v14.2.5 (121010).  I have followed the advice and settings from this thread, worked with the 24/7 esupport help team and I'm dead in the water (sts).  I receive the following error, "Authentication failed because Outlook doesn't support any of the available authentication methods", with the following details - Could not retrieve mail. Account name: "Att", Error code: - 17897.

I've been using Outlook email features for years with cox and really need this to work with our new att.net account.  I would appreciate your  and/or other users assistance on solving this anomaly.

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hi all! After trying so many options from help forums, AT&T website, etc... this is what's working wonders for me. Hope it helps you... 

Account Description:  AT&T

Your Personal Information:

Full Name: (Type in your name, last name)

E-mail address: (Your AT&T e-mail address)

Server Information:

User name: (Type in your e-mail address - ex. username@att.net)

Password: (Your AT&T e-mail account password)

Incoming Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com

DO NOT CHECK "Override default port".

Check mark to "Use SSL to connect (recommended)".

DO NOT CHECK "Always use secure password".  The port sets automatically to 993.

Outgoing Server:  smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Check mark to "Override default port", and change the port to 465.

Check mark to "Use SSL to connect (recommended).

Click now on "More Options".

Settings for: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Authentication: User Name and Password
User name:  (Your AT&T e-mail address)

Password:  (Your password)

Click OK.

🙂 Good luck to all!! Please, let me know if this works for you.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

thanks for getting down to the fine details. It worked

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I know this is a little old now, but in my case, none of the previous settings were working in Outlook 365 for the Mac. Your settings however work, and thank-you for posting them.

There has always been some confusion in the setup and it seems that just about the time we have everything worked out; something changes either at Yahoo or AT&T, and we, and the email clients we're using, get confused. When I was with Bellsouth, formerly, it was fairly simple to configure since we used our own servers. After the merger with SBC, since they used Yahoo servers, we had to do a migration. The confusion with AT&T and Yahoo has created quite a bit of drama over the years, especially after free email client support was stopped. When it was supported, it forced the AT&T support reps to maintain proficiency in these changes. Once it was handed over to ConnectTech however, the ball is in their court to maintain and service.  I consider myself knowledgeable in this area as a former employee and instructor, but honestly, when all of the previous settings I was aware of failed to work in Outlook, as they used to, I just stopped using my att.net email account for the most part, and just had it forwarded to gmail from my AT&T webmail account.

I do understand and appreciate the spot the service reps are in when their scope of support is limited to webmail now. Most do want to help, but due to the variety of email clients out there, it really did get difficult and time-consuming; thus their decison to support AT&T web mail, powered by Yahoo, since they do manage and control that path and architecture in conjunction with Yahoo. In my honest opinion, they should manage their own email servers and disengage with Yahoo altogether, because a hand-off point still exists where a decision has to be made whether the problem is with Yahoo or AT&T when customer situations arise, and I can remember occasions where the acceptance of responsibility was a nightmare of sorts. Again, just my opinionSmiley Happy

Bob

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Hi all,

Error Code 3253 viz "Connection to server failed or was dropped" can be solved out through-

• Create a new subfolder on exchange and move message on this folder.
    Note: Please don’t create sub-folders just under Inbox folder but at the root level of the Exchange
  • And the 2nd way to transfer emails to a folders “on My Computer”
    Note: Folders “On My Computer” are susceptible to Damage the data so take care of your data by taking backup before moving on it.

Alternate: For proper configuration of MS Outlook 2011 for Mac, you can visit here at-

http://www.blogs.olmtopst.com/add-an-email-account-on-outlook-2011-for-mac.html

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have this exact problem with the iMac 11 and Safari Browser using att internet mail, also have Surface

Lap Top using Microsoft 2013 and and IE, both  using POP 2 email. I have had on problem with the

Surface.

The latest info from Microsoft is that they stopped support of the 201version several months ago. They

strongly recommend the 365 version, its expensive. I plan to study the problem a while longer the try

the 16 or 19.  

Good luck!  

Lee

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.