Merged AT&T and Yahoo email accounts

Contributor

Merged AT&T and Yahoo email accounts

I wanted to post info in efforts to help someone who was in the same unfortunate cirrumstance as I was these past months.

For the last few years of living in CA, AT&T was my internet provider at home.  Previous to that I shopped around for the best rates and went with various companies accordingly, but all along I've always had a free Yahoo email account.  Unbeknown to me, AT&T merged my Yahoo account when they became my internet provider.

In early 2014, I relocated to another state where AT&T is NOT a provider.  In the spring my account began to send out spam emails from my own address. This coupled with the news that many of Yahoo's customer info had been stolen, I wanted to change my password.

Unfortunately I could not change it following the Yahoo's links....they just routed my screen to AT&T website and stated I was an AT&T customer.  AT&T stated I was no longer a customer, so there was no account and said they couldn't help me with a Yahoo password because they weren't Yahoo.  

I was caught in the middle.  I wasn't an AT&T customer any longer, but my accounts were somehow merged and no one seemed to be able to help.

Over the course of 3 months I called AT&T multiple times in hopes of getting someone who could help me.....no luck.....always told accounts were merged and there was nothing I could do except to call Yahoo....and read everything I could find on both sites about changing a password, but no luck.  I called Yahoo many times, but after 15 minutes of hold time, my call would be disconnected due to high caller volume.  

Finally I decided to call one last time today.....after being on hold for 2 hours and 2 minutes, Yahoo answered.  Imagine my frustration when they told me I had to call AT&T.  I couldn't believe my ears.  I explained to him all I had done in the past months to resolve this issue and he had to help me more than that....he had to give me more info, better info....something.

The Yahoo rep was intelligent enough and kind enough to explain to me how to talk to AT&T. Sadly, he understood how things work at AT&T better than the employees of AT&T.

He told me NOT to say I wanted to change my password for my Yahoo account; he told me to say I need help with the sbcglobal.net i.d. account linked to me and to ask about the Yahoo email account that is linked to the sbcglobal account.  He said I should ask them to help me first change the password on the sbcglobal acct, then unmerge these accounts.  If they unmerged first, then I would have to call back Yahoo for password help......and I wasn't about to wait another 2 hours on the phone.

OMgosh....why couldn't the AT&T staff figure this out?  Countless hours trying to do a simple change.  I didn't want to get rid of my Yahoo email address...I have had it for so long and I knew there had to be a simple solution to my problem.

I hope there are not others in my boat, but if there are, I hope this helps.

Message 1 of 2 (456 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Merged AT&T and Yahoo email accounts

Hello, happyIsolvedit!

Thanks for posting. I'm so sorry to hear about the difficulty you had resetting your email password and unmerging your accounts. It sounds like the issue was ultimately resolved, but if there is anything else we can do, please let us know by clicking here to send us a private message.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 2 (403 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.