Protect yourself online
grif3015's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, December 3rd, 2016 7:35 PM

Mac Mail OSX- Receive but not send

Mac Mail receives but does not send e-mail.  I have followed AT&T step by step procedure to set-up outgoing server, which is Bellsouth.net.  

"For IMAP accounts, enter imap.mail.att.net for the Incoming Mail Server, and smtp.mail.att.net for the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)."     The outgoing Mail server gives me a drop down menu choice of Bellsouth.net or Edit SMTP and says to select it. Next instruction is:

Verify: "The Server Name is outbound.att.net or smtp.mail.att.net."  The smtp.mail.att.net is in a box at the top
"Use default ports (25, 465, 587) is selected."  There's no such place to select, but there is a Port spot to insert a number.  Later it tells me to use 993.  So I insert it there.

"Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is selected."  and it is.

Next instructions:

"Select the Advanced tab."  I did
Verify that:
"SSL checkbox is selected".  It is
"The Authentication field is set for Password."  It is
"On the same tab, enter the following:
For POP accounts, the Port is 995.
For IMAP accounts, the Port is 993."  I did.  And return to previous window and enter it there in the "Port" space
"Close the window."

And after this I still get the error message; can receive, can't send.  Asks for my password; I enter it (it's the correct one), and get "can't connect to bellsouth server.

When I use browser and Att/Yahoo mail directly, can send and receive.

Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is selected.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

I found out this morning that Apple has a neat website to confirm what your email settings should be: Apple email Lookup

Let me know.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

IT WORKED!  MANY THANKS!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I spent all day trying to figure out why I couldn't send email from my AT&T email account from the 3rd party Mac email service.  I called AT&T (they were absolutely NO HELP!!!)  I deleted and re-added the account, tried changing all sorts of setting, then I finally discovered if I use smtp.mail.yahoo.com as the SMTP server, it works!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I went to edit smtp server settings from mail/accounts/outgoing/ on my mac, pressed "+" and then went to my iPhone and got into the same set of outgoing server settings and copied them over.  This is working now for me.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

ApexRon's suggestion worked for me. Used https://www.apple.com/support/mail-settings-lookup/ to find accurate outgoing SMTP info (for my e-mail address), created a "new" outgoing server in the list for outgoing servers in my Mac mail program (using the info Apple gave me), made sure this "new" server was selected, AND had "use only this server" checked. So far so good.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Those are the att documented servers specified here and they are not that new anymore!

(edited)

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I had not made any intentional change to my server settings (for years) and all worked just fine till June 11, 2018; so perhaps I was hacked that day. I really don't know what changed or happened on the 11th, but today (the 13th) all seems back to normal after correcting the outgoing server name as you have pointed out. Thanks for the reference to the ATT page listing the in/out server names etc., I'm also saving this for future reference.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

still getting this message:

This message could not be sent. It will remain in your Outbox until it can be sent.

This message could not be sent because your account does not have a preferred outgoing mail server. Select an outgoing mail server from the list below.

help, please!

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

@Medinacat 

Email clients, when properly configured, do work, even on att/yahoo email.  I use Thunderbird myself.  Here's some things to try:

• Make sure you email account is even working by trying to log into the webmail.  If you cannot log in there forget trying to get you email client working.
  • Make sure you are using the server settings defined here in your email client.
  • Try using a secure mail key instead of the account password in your client.  Read this (which includes a link to how to create a secure mail key).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.