For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
ubsbob's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Monday, April 1st, 2013 9:54 PM

Locked out of e-mail

I just sent a bunch of e-mails to my clients like I have dozens of times before over the years and now my account is locked up.  This is more than an inconveince since this is my livelyhood.

Please help and thank you!!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

@ubsbob wrote:

I just sent a bunch of e-mails to my clients like I have dozens of times before over the years and now my account is locked up.  This is more than an inconveince since this is my livelyhood.

Please help and thank you!!!

ubsbob,

Sorry to hear that you are locked out of your email. I will include as much information below as I can.

Change or reset your AT&T passwords

My AT&T email account may have been hacked, phished, or compromised

It's a guess and not fact but if ATT suspects that an email has been compromised, the email system will automatically lock to protect the sender and recipients from harm. If you sent out a large mass email the system may have accidentally triggered that security safeguard.

If you're still locked out and can't regain control of email please send a private message to our ATTCustomer care team by sending a private message through the following link. Please include your name, an accessible email, phone number and the best time that you can be contacted. Please also allow up to 48 hours for a representative to contact you.

Private Message

James

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Att/Yahoo repeatedly locks me out of my own account and sends me the "account may have been compromised" email warnings. However there is absolutely no evidence of my account being hacked nor any explanation of precisely what is triggering these erroneous notifications. My guess is that I use an email client to access my account that allows messages to be redirected (not forwarded). Two months ago I had to use this feature two months ago to redirect 10-20 emails to my business partner which I did with one command. A few days later I was locked out. I was able to successfully reset the password via web email (which BTW literally takes hours to propagate throughout the email servers before POP access works). Since then I have been locked out two more times. The only other action possibly triggering the lockout could be that I bounce groups of spam emails that appear to have a legitimate senders. Regardless, the specific triggering cause of the "account may have been compromised" messages and any subsequent lockout should be explained in detail and better documented in the help files. At least this would allow users to modify their behavior to avoid this extremely annoying problem. There appears to be no way to contact a knowledgeable support person to discuss this. Redirects should NOT cause accounts to become locked.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

This is the message I get when trying to send email: An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to possible abuse; please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/abuse_smtp.html for more information. Please check the message and try again.

Why?  And this occurs on all email accounts especially accounts that are not used on a regular basis. Why?  Is this another ATT boondoogle?  Am I going to have to file another consumer complaint with the state of CT?

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

We are currently experiencing the same thing. See thread here:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Email-Internet-Security/Getting-Security-Warning-from-AT-amp-T-every-6-7-days-HELP/td-p/3500515

One problem is that when the account is locked, you don't receive the security notice (since the password is no longer active).

Resetting the password works, but it happens to us every 6-7 days.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I changed my password on my e-mail account which is ***.  Now I can not access ***.  It changed my e-mail to ***  All of my mail goes to *** and I cannot access this account anymore to see my e-mails.  I would like my e-mail account to stay the same ***.

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.