Protect yourself online
jackmacdoug's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 3:42 AM

Keeping my sbcglobal.net email address

Hello everybody, 

my family has been with AT&T DSL for the last few years and we are switching to a different ISP. My question is when I leave, will I be able to keep my @sbcglobal.net email address or at least change the address and keep my old emails?

I have seen this question many times and have seen many answers but none recently.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@jackmacdoug wrote:

How do I merge and then import?

From the looks of what I can find, it depends on whether you had a Yahoo ID before you had AT&T. ‎If i cancel my AT&T account will I lose my email address? | AT&T Community Forums (att.com)

The following options must be acted on between 60 and 100 days after cancelling your AT&T service, if I'm reading it correctly. Can't seem to find any further details on unmerging accounts or transfering data though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

(edited)

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@jackmacdoug wrote:

Hello everybody, 

@my family has been with AT&T DSL for the last few years and we are switching to a different ISP. My question is when I leave, will I be able to keep my @sbcglobal.net email address or at least change the address and keep my old emails?

I have seen this question many times and have seen many answers but none recently.

If you have a Yahoo ID or create one you can merge your SBC address with it and import all your emails and settings. You will have to create a seperate Yahoo ID for each subaccount.

This is from the terms of service http://www.att.com/shop/internet/att-internet-terms-of-service.html

Access to Yahoo! After Termination by AT&T. If your Service is terminated by AT&T, you will no longer have access to your Member account information using your Member ID, except as outlined in this Section and Section 9 (Yahoo! Premium Services). If you combined your Yahoo! ID with a Member ID, you will not be able to access Yahoo! using your combined ID after termination, unless you close your Member ID (your Member ID will be closed automatically no fewer than 60 days after termination). If you did not combine a Yahoo! ID with your Member ID, you will be given the option (when you sign in at Yahoo! using your Member ID) for at least 60 days after termination, to close your Member ID and transfer certain account information to a new Yahoo! ID. If you continue to access a Yahoo! account through a different Internet access provider after your Service account is terminated, then your use of your Yahoo! account after that time will be subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service at http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/utos-173.html.

Note: Sub-accounts with a combined Yahoo! ID may be able to access the Yahoo! account provisioned under their combined Yahoo! ID when the Member ID of the Member Account holder is closed. After the Member ID of the Member Account holder is closed, Sub-Accounts who do not have a combined Yahoo! ID will not be able to transfer any of their Member account information to a new Yahoo! ID. Therefore, Sub-Account holders who wish to elect to transfer should make the election before the Member ID of the Member Account holder is closed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

How do I merge and then import?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Here is the text of my chat with ATT. I was told that when I switch to Comcast, I do nothing and I will still get to keep my sbcglobal.net address without doing anything.

Veronica: HSIA service is disconnected and the Member ID is placed on a free AT&T Dial plan with full access to e-mail and portal for 60 days. On day 61, the free AT&T Dial service is terminated; however, the customer retains access to their Member ID(s), e-mail, and portal. At this point, the ID will be a Free AT&T E-mail and Member ID.  

Me: ok

Veronica: You can use your AT&T e-mail address the way you are using it right now.

Veronica: However it will be a free member Id after 60 days.

Veronica: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Me: So I don't have to do anything? Don't have to change a password?

Veronica: No.

Veronica: It'll work same as you are using it right now.

Me: OK. Did not know that.

Veronica: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Me: No. Thank you very much.

Contributor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

and at the end of the time period, you CANNOT use your email and you have lost your emails 'unless you pay them monthly or annually to keep it'.  Just happened to a friend of mine so don't believe what they tell you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Thanks.. I'll stick with my yahoo account id.. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.