Protect yourself online
dan4661's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, January 30th, 2014 1:42 AM

Keeping my sbcglobal.net email address after canceling DSL

ok I've seen several topics on the topic but the answers are confusing, or not applicable.  So let me ask the question a little differently, and hopefully I will get the answer I need:

My account is currently accessable through the att.yahoo.com web portal, signed in as myUserID@sbcglobal.net,  but there is no myUserID@yahoo.com email address linked with it.

What do I need to do, so that even 5 years after canceling my AT&T DSL service, I can still recieve email sent to myUserID@sbcglobal.net.  (assuming nothing else changes during those 5 years)  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@dan4661 

OK, maybe this will help.

After you cancel services (with accont in good standing) with AT&T you are allowed to keep you email address indefinitely, but after 60 days you will have no support for that sbcglobal address from AT&T or Yahoo, so you're on your own if you have problems.

If you go to att.yahoo.com  and log in with your UserID@sbcglobal and try to change the password, there will be "security questions" you will have to answer. You will want to make sure you have the answers memorized or written down for future reference.

Now, before you cancel AT&T, you will want to go to https://edit.yahoo.com/registration?.src=fpctx&.intl=us&.done=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.yahoo.com%2F and create a new Yahoo account. I believe you might be able to import your contacts and messages from your sbcglobal account.

Now go back to your sbcglobal account and set it to forward everything to your new Yahoo account.

That should keep you covered, but no guarantees.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, dan4661!

Thanks for posting. For more information about keeping your yahoo ID, please click on the link below.

Keeping Yahoo ID

Let me know if that helps answer your question!

-Mariana

Former Employee

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

1) If you disconnect the accoutn is good standing (no money owed). The email will no longer will be managed by ATT after 60 days (security set up or pasword reset). 

2) You will be able to access amail forever

3) Make sure you set up all security measures on account to be able to reset password your self. 

4) Make sure you have an Off-line Security question set up on your current active DSL account. Even if you leave att, you will be helped to reset password as long as you know your Off-line security answer. 

5) If you forget your password and you no longer have active DSL account, and did not set up security questions. You will no be able to get your password.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

@ATTMarianaCM wrote:

Hello, dan4661!

Thanks for posting. For more information about keeping your yahoo ID, please click on the link below.

Keeping Yahoo ID

Let me know if that helps answer your question!

-Mariana

The link you  gave me is the reason I srtarted tyhis thread.  

Is myUserID@sbcglobal.net my Yahoo ID?  If not, then that page is telling me how to do the opposite of what I'm trying to do.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

@Joelja961t wrote:

1) If you disconnect the accoutn is good standing (no money owed). The email will no longer will be managed by ATT after 60 days (security set up or pasword reset). 

3) Make sure you set up all security measures on account to be able to reset password your self. 

4) Make sure you have an Off-line Security question set up on your current active DSL account. Even if you leave att, you will be helped to reset password as long as you know your Off-line security answer. 

5) If you forget your password and you no longer have active DSL account, and did not set up security questions. You will no be able to get your password.

I'm a little unclear about steps 3 and 4, they seem to both be saying the same thing. can you elaborate on them?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

So will I still have access to all of my folders?  And sent files?  Basically, it sounds like the only thing is to make sure I have the account answers written down and saved somewhere?  There are so many answers online and they seem to conflict.  Thank you!

Sabrena

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This explanation looks good. 

Can this same routine be applied to the subaccounts. or will the sub accounts be lost when the DSL or uverse service is closed down.?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Does this work with uverse as well?  We have an sbcglobal.net email for the past 10 years and moving to a location that has no AT&T uverse or dsl service available.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

My SO has a similar question that is slightly different. She currently has DSL througth ATT but may have to end her account in the near future for a time because of financial reasons. She's worried she'll lose her email account if that happens. Her 'primary' ATT email address is something like this: Josephblowhard@att.net

Her secondary ATT address, which is the main one she actually uses is something like this:Joeblow@att.net.

If she follows the above directions IE '

Will both of her ATT email addresses remain intact? Or would there be some nominal fee required to maintain just the email account?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Good question-I'm in a similar situation.

Anxiously awaiting an answer from ATT.

Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.