Protect yourself online
golferbrill's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, February 5th, 2012 2:15 AM

Internet without home phone

What do I need to use the internet without a home phone?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@golferbrill wrote:

I have an ATT modem router. It has phone cable going into it and I also have two desktops attached to it. I also can use my laptop wireless. I am thinking about doing away with landline and want to know how I can do that.

What your talking about is called dry loop.
Call them and tell them you want to drop the landline. If you are getting a bundle price, your internet cost will go up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@golferbrill wrote:

What do I need to use the internet without a home phone?

Well, besides the internet service, Smiley Wink you'll need the modem, which AT&T will provide when you sign up for said internet service.

Some modems may only provide for one device to be connected and some modems are modem/router/wireless access point all rolled into one unit which will allow you to connect multiple wired devices as well as wireless devices.

How many and what kind of devices do you have?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I have an ATT modem router. It has phone cable going into it and I also have two desktops attached to it. I also can use my laptop wireless. I am thinking about doing away with landline and want to know how I can do that.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hi, I have cable internet, I currently produce technology/tech content/shows on the internet, youtube, & am trying to start to live broadcast on ustream, justin.tv, etc., I am wanting start my own studio out of my house for live streaming, this is very interesting to me, I have a question about this dry loop technology, its a price question, how much would it cost per month to put in a dry loop of dsl for streaming live from home? I know how to install stuff, I installed my own cable. Is it costlier then $10 -20 per month or how much is it for the dry loop service + the dsl itself.

Thank you,
Michael

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.