Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Inbound.att.net is not working for POP3 in Outlook

Mentor

Inbound.att.net is not working for POP3 in Outlook

My att.net email is not my primary email, so I haven't had it configured in Outlook since I replace my computer's hard drive last year. I had an email sent to that address last night, and that is when I learned that the POP3 incoming server has changed since I last used it from pop.att.yahoo.com to inbound.att.net.

I've tried configuring the POP3 settings on Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016 on different computers, and both are giving the same error message for the incoming server. I've verified the user name and password are correct as well as using SSL on port 995.

When Outlook tests the settings, the SMTP settings are working with outbound.att.net, SMTP requires authentication using the same settings as my incominig mail server, and SSL configured to use port 465.

The incoming server setttings return the error below. Is the POP3 server currently working correctly or does this indicate another problem?

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings. The server responded: -ERR Server error - Please try again later. [SYS/TEMP]

Message 1 of 4
Contributor

Re: Inbound.att.net is not working for POP3 in Outlook

I'm experiencing this exact same issue. So far the only solution I've found is to change to IMAP and use smtp.mail.att.net instead of inbound.att.net.

Message 2 of 4
Mentor

It's been over a month and still no resolution on setting up my att.net email as POP3 in Outlook 2016. Has anyone else besides Spectralhunt experienced this issue?

Message 3 of 4
Mentor

That was strange. I was starting a chat session with support. While the agent was looking up an latest server settings, I deliberately entered incorrect inbound server settings and port number. Once I corrected the server settings and port number, I tested the settings again. Without the support agent doing anything to my account or actually providing me with any information, Outlook was suddenly able to verify my inbound server without timing out like it has every time for the past 6 months. 

I am sure that in all my previous attempts, I was entering the settings correctly. I never saved these settings because they never verified my account, so I had to start over and enter them from scratch every single time.

Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support