Protect yourself online
HeidiP's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 15th, 2019 2:26 PM

IMAP.mail.att.net is not responding. January 2019

I have tried everything but i cant get to any recent mail. I can send but not recieve. I just get the error message imap.mail.att.net is not responding. What’s going on AT&T?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

As a check can you even log into the webmail?

Do you have a legacy account (e.g. sbcglobal.net, pacbell.net, bellsouth.net, etc., i.e., any att domain other than att.net)?

Try changing your password.

In your email client app replace the password with a secure mail key.  Read this (which includes a link to how to create a secure mail key).

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I see that this original post is quite old, but has no solution indicated...

This is of great interest to me as I've also been unable to hook up to my legacy sbcglobal.net account using an email client for well over a year.

My OS is UBUNTU. I was on 18.04 LTS when the problem started and was using the Thunderbird email client (I don't know the version).

Last summer, I upgraded to UBUNTU 20.04 LTS and also upgraded Thunderbird. Mail retrieval continued to work fine for gmail, but ALWAYS fails with sbcglobal.net.

I've also tried deleting and rebuilding the account without success.

Tonight, I've just finished uninstalling Thunderbird and switched to a fresh installation of the Evolution email client. Again, I have the same results with gmail working fine, but sbcglobal.net fails to get past the authentication process.

The setup I've been using is as follows:

[[email scrubbed]] [mypassword (which works fine with webmail - https://currently.att.yahoo.com/)]

Receiver: POP / inbound.att.net / 995 / TLS

Sender: SMTP / outbound.att.net / 465 / TLS

Finally, this is the same setup that used to work MANY months ago using previous versions of both UBUNTU and Thunderbird. I wish I had noticed what event of significance took place between functioning and failing, but that is long since been forgotten.

Fortunately, I do get email via the website and using the email app on my cellphone.

However, I tend to do most of my research and correspondence on my laptop, so this failure to connect to sbcglobal.net using multiple clients and multiple versions of an OS that used to work is frustrating.

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

the link to secure mail key is broken, but I searched it out and was reminded that my email client is also using OAUTH2.

FYI, I feel like the problem might've begun when ATT shutdown the SBCGLOBAL domain.

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

UPDATE on this problem...

The "secure mail key" resolved the issue.

https://www.att.com/support/article/email-support/KM1240308

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.