I don't like the new ATT.net email format. How do I go back to the old one (Classic)?

Mentor

I don't like the new ATT.net email format. How do I go back to the old one (Classic)?

Message 17 of 275 (34,569 Views)
Tutor

Re: I don't like the new ATT.net email format. How do I go back to the old one (Classic)?

Well after more than a decade with AT&T e-mail, I am about to jump ship.  I don't pay every month to see ads at the top of my e-mail and I've tried all the opt out options.  After reading the forum messages it seems that there is no other solution!

Message 61 of 275 (5,453 Views)
Teacher

Re: I don't like the new ATT.net email format. How do I go back to the old one (Classic)?

Another intersist discovery, the settings seem to work diffently depening on the machine I am using, some are basic, some don't use conversations and some do. I cannot change these settings anymore, I change it but it has no effect on that computer/browser.

This is just getting worse all the time.

Message 62 of 275 (5,442 Views)
Tutor

Re: New Email Format

so your saying we should be happy we are being treated like freeloaders?

Message 63 of 275 (5,422 Views)
Tutor

Re: new ATT e-mail problems

I couldn't agree MORE with this post!  The reason I've stayed with AT&T (which I pay for) is because of the non-gmail-type email format.  Now, we have to choose between the non-gmail-type (basic email version) and the gmail-type (fully featured version).  Only the full featured version allows the search by sender, topic, etc.  If AT&T / yahoo does not switch back to the version of email I had yesterday within a week or so, then I will be cancelling my AT&T home phone and dsl service and finding another internet and home phone provider.

Message 64 of 275 (5,402 Views)
Mentor

New Email HORRIBLE!!!!!

[ Edited ]

Seems they just changed the email client again. Prev version was ok but this one is horrible. If you want to forward a message you can barely see the send to line, it gets merged into the line above it. You don't really know what you're forwarding to someone. You can't change parts of it. When you click on parts to change it jumps you back to other parts. Once you forward it and look in your sent folder it doesn't show who you forwarded it to, only shows "ME". I sent an email to myself and it shows (2) on it. Other emails I've forwarded shows numbers in parentheses in the inbox. Emails I've created and send to people show up "ME" in the sent folder. If you sent out 50 emails to people, it shows "ME" on all of them and you have to click on each one to see who you sent it to. Not sure if they really got sent to them or to "ME." Actually see all my emails in the sent show "ME" instead of who I sent them to. What genius came up with that one. Dont they think you'd want to look at the list and see who you sent your emails to instead of "ME" then need to click on each one?

If I go and change settings to basic I can see who I sent the emails to but loose all the features I've had for the past several months.

I didn't ask to upgrade to this version, it just did it. My other email for another family member didn't change until today.

ATT/Yahoo really turned the email client into a piece of garbage. I should have gone with a generic Gmail account years ago.

Message 65 of 275 (5,396 Views)
Tutor

People, can't we all just accept that Ma Bell knows what's best for us? Doesn't it feel good to be treated like children, too ignorant to know what we want and need? It's true we have choices, but ol' Ma knows less than 1% of her "children" will actually do anything to change things. We're too addicted to the digital crack she and her siblings feed us, so let's all be grateful.

Message 66 of 275 (5,361 Views)
Scholar

Re: New Email HORRIBLE!!!!!

GB777 wrote:

Seems they just changed the email client again. Prev version was ok but this one is horrible. If you want to forward a message you can barely see the send to line, it gets merged into the line above it. You don't really know what you're forwarding to someone. You can't change parts of it. When you click on parts to change it jumps you back to other parts. Once you forward it and look in your sent folder it doesn't show who you forwarded it to, only shows "ME". I sent an email to myself and it shows (2) on it. Other emails I've forwarded shows numbers in parentheses in the inbox. Emails I've created and send to people show up "ME" in the sent folder. If you sent out 50 emails to people, it shows "ME" on all of them and you have to click on each one to see who you sent it to. Not sure if they really got sent to them or to "ME." Actually see all my emails in the sent show "ME" instead of who I sent them to. What genius came up with that one. Dont they think you'd want to look at the list and see who you sent your emails to instead of "ME" then need to click on each one?

If I go and change settings to basic I can see who I sent the emails to but loose all the features I've had for the past several months.

I didn't ask to upgrade to this version, it just did it. My other email for another family member didn't change until today.

ATT/Yahoo really turned the email client into a piece of garbage. I should have gone with a generic Gmail account years ago.

The "Me" question was answered in this thread.  And it isn't switch to Basic.

I've been using new mail for several days now and have not run into any problems so far.

I do recall the uproar the last time mail was updated a few years back.  Some folks wanted the old back.  Some folks took the time to learn the new.

Message 67 of 275 (5,356 Views)
Tutor

I HATE HATE HATE the new email format SO much that I actually took the time to register for this forum to tell you!  I have a pacbell.net address - that is how long I have been a customer - and I'm ready to go find someone else to use instead of you.

I tried every theme you offered - they are ALL TERRIBLE.

You talk about these ads like it was a free service - we are paying customers!

One of your themes needs to make that first sponsored ad fade into the background and put the emails to the forefront.  The info I need needs to pop - not the info you are trying to sell for someone else.

No improvement by next week, I'm going to start looking for another provider.

Message 68 of 275 (5,350 Views)
Teacher

Folks you got it all wrong, its all about streamlining.  The email service has been upgraded, now it matches the slow unreliable internet service at home.  So now instead of taking twice as long, it takes 4 times as long.  Think of the ads like entertainment, watch them while your waiting.  Like the tv screens at the gas pump. 

Message 69 of 275 (5,331 Views)
Scholar

To fix the "ad" problem....   (ATT likely will NOT make them go away)

1. Install Firefox

2. Install the AdBlock Plus extension

3. No more ads

For me, the performance of the new mail is equal to or better than the older.  YMMV

Message 70 of 275 (5,329 Views)
Voyager

Take the check mark off "Sort by conversation"
Message 71 of 275 (5,322 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

ljk5 wrote:
Take the check mark off "Sort by conversation"

That's about the third time the answer to the "Me" problem has been mentioned in this thread.

Message 72 of 275 (5,321 Views)
Mentor

Worst New Email

Emails have changed drastically  for the worst. Everything upside down. Links used to be up is now down.

New instruction on my setting are insufficient. I hope it will change for the better.

Message 73 of 275 (5,060 Views)
Tutor

I can't stand the new email format and based on the comments below I think it would be best if they returned the new format to the classic
Message 74 of 275 (5,308 Views)
Tutor

You still can't sort and you have to go to the bottom of the page to hit reply or send.  I'm still getting the ads! The visual is a little better but the functionality didn't return

Message 75 of 275 (5,310 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.