Protect yourself online
YektaGursel's profile

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

Friday, April 27th, 2018 7:28 PM

I can send e-mail, but I can not receive any under Microsoft Windows Vista, running Windows Mail...

I recently re-set up Windows Mail due to a disk failure.  I followed the instructions given, and I have set the e-mail account parameters as follows:

Account: Yahoo!

Receive Protocol: POP3 (Post Office Protocol 3)

Server: inbound.att.net

Port: 995

Secure(SSL): Yes

Send Protocol: SMTP

Server: smtp.mail.att.net

Port: 465

Authentication: Server Requires Authentication

With these settings, I can send e-mail, but I can not receive any. The error indicated by the server is shown below:

Account: 'Yahoo!', Server: 'inbound.att.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

I do not know what is causing this.  It seems that the server name is somehow incorrect.  Can you help?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I figured out how to make the mail reception work with Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail running under Microsoft Windows Vista operating system.  The only available mail reading protocol is POP3 (Post Office Protocol 3). 

Windows Mail:

From the main menu, choose "Tools => Accounts", then click on the account of interest.  Click on "Properties", then on "Servers".  In the "Incoming Mail Server" section, make sure that the option "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is NOT selected.  Now the mail reception will work.

Windows Live Mail:

From the main menu, choose "Accounts => Properties", then click on the account of interest.  Click on "Servers".  In the "Incoming Mail Server" section, make sure that the option "Log on using clear text authentication" IS selected.  Now the mail reception will work.

Somehow, the instructions from AT&T (Go to "att.com/myfeatures" , then select "Email" and select "Set up or update email program for AT&T email" , and the appropriate options, should they be applicable, as "Windows Mail" is not one of the options, and Windows Mail App" does not apply.) seem to be contrary to what I have found out. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Under Microsoft Windows Vista, the ONLY option that can be entered for receiving mail is POP3 (Post Office Protocol 3).  The system simply does not let you enter another option.  Here, again,  is my always working settings for Windows Mail under Microsoft Windows Vista:

Advanced.jpg

The AT&T web page you have pointed to (which I have had looked at while figuring out what has been going on) shows:

att.jpg

The only option that works under Microsoft Windows Vista with Windows Mail is the one with "POP3" used for receiving and with "SMTP" used for sending.  Same is true for Windows Live Mail.  The AT&T options as shown do not work.   That was the reason why I had posted my message to the AT&T forum in the first place.

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc]

2 Attachments

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

The only available mail reading protocol is POP3

I doubt that.  The settings you show in your first post specify the POP settings (inbound.att.net/995/ssl) for receiving but the IMAP settings (smtp.mail.att.net/465/SSL, you didn't mention SSL) for sending.  You said you can send successfully which means you created the email account in the client as IMAP.  With the sending settings set for OP it's obvious you won't be able to send.

The proper server settings are defined here.   Briefly:

POP3:  inbound.att.net/995/ssl

SMTP: outbound.att.net/465/ssl

IMAP: imap.mail.att.net/993/ssl

SMTP: smtp.mail.att.net/465/ssl

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I guarantee you both Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail support both POP and IMAP.  Generally you specify which most email client apps at account creation time.  You can't take a POP account and switch it to IMAP later (or vice versa).  Google it.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

At the account creation time, you are correct in pointing out that the Windows Mail under Microsoft Windows Vista supports "POP3", "IMAP" (and "HTTP", which is an option, but when selected, it defaults to an error message stating that it is not available) mail transfer protocols for mail reception.  It is not possible to change these after the account is created, except by deleting the account using the "Remove" button, and by re-creating it using the "Add" button with the new reception option.  The only mail sending option in the cases above, however, is "SMTP" and it does require the name of the "SMTP" server directly, not the "POP3" outbound server.  Everything does work as shown in my previous messages once the correct option is chosen as indicated there.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

If the only way you can get your client to work is to use the POP server for receiving and the IMAP smtp server for sending and your client is not allowing you you to select or use the proper pop/smtp or imap/smtp server combinations then there is something wrong with your system and/or your client running on your system.  Period.  You marking these cross server settings as a solution is incorrect.  It may be correct for you but not correct in general.  That's my last word on this.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

can u help set up my incoming server how i can do

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

@swami1100 

Look here.  Maybe the client you are using is on the popup list.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.