Protect yourself online
MikeDove's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, August 18th, 2013 6:05 PM

How to mass delete emails for a specific time period?

My email indox has 49,000 emails, spanning 07/17/2012 through 08/18/2013. I have not tried to download these emails to outlook 2003 until the last few days. The download fails before ALL can be downloaded to clear them out of the indox. I created a new/empty outlook.pst file to download, in hopes of downloading all, but it failed after about 40,000 through the date of 07/15/2013.

Question: Is there a way to mass delete email for a date range from say: 07/17/2012 through 07/12/2013? or some shorter date range?

Thanks for your help,

Michael Dove

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@MikeDove wrote:

I wish to do the mass deleting from the  ATT/Yahoo website. I forgot to state this in my original post. I know I can click on the [check box] at the top of the page, and it will select about one hundred at a time.

Holding the shift key down - what does that do?

Thanks

If you click the check box on one message, scroll down, then click the check box on another message while holding the shift key, every message between those will be selected as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Accepted Solution

Employee

• 

581 Messages

11 years ago

Hello MikeDove.  Just FYI to tag on to ComputerJoe's great advice here are a few other tips on how to delete multiple messages:

• There are several ways to delete multiple messages at once. You can select multiple messages by clicking in the select box, adding a check mark and then drag and drop into the trash folder. Or, you can click the select box at the top. This will select all messages and then by pressing the delete button, all messages will be deleted. A third option is to select each individual message that you would like to delete and press the Delete button.

Hope this information is helpful as well!  ~Delia

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@MikeDove wrote:

My email indox has 49,000 emails, spanning 07/17/2012 through 08/18/2013. I have not tried to download these emails to outlook 2003 until the last few days. The download fails before ALL can be downloaded to clear them out of the indox. I created a new/empty outlook.pst file to download, in hopes of downloading all, but it failed after about 40,000 through the date of 07/15/2013.

Question: Is there a way to mass delete email for a date range from say: 07/17/2012 through 07/12/2013? or some shorter date range?

Thanks for your help,

Michael Dove

I don't think you can do that remotely using Outlook if that is what you're asking. You can go to the ATT/Yahoo website, access your inbox (where the messages can be sorted by date), and delete them from there. You can also use the shift key to select groups of messages.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I wish to do the mass deleting from the  ATT/Yahoo website. I forgot to state this in my original post. I know I can click on the [check box] at the top of the page, and it will select about one hundred at a time.

Holding the shift key down - what does that do?

Thanks

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

we need more flexibility similar to what Microsoft put in outlook.com/hotmail.com webmail... att/yahoo is behind in allowing better ways to mass delete or mass do anything based on criteria.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

by pressing the shift key and doing what they suggested does not work. so there has to be a better way to delete messages in bulk. I absolutely despise having to check each individual box to delete and then have them pop right back on there after they are supposedly been deleted. I do not have a select box at the top of my email to where i can select all, i have to click individually or hold the control button down and click each that way. This is ridiculous and needs fixed. I have emails clear from september to now that i am trying to delete and dont like clicking one at a time. fix this issue please 

Guru

• 

498 Messages

8 years ago

Mass Deletion of E-Mail in the ATT/Yahoo Webmail (How to erase them all at once instead of 100 at a time)

1. You must be using "Full-Featured" email, not Basic.
  2. In the Search box at the top of the mail page, click the word "All".  Then click "Advanced search".
  3. The dialog allows you to define search criteria: All folders vs just Inbox, for example.  Note there is an "AND" between the items you define.  Therefore, if you enter your email address in both the "To:" and "From:" fields search will only present the emails you sent to yourself.  That means you will have to do this twice (first using To: you, then From: you) to delete everything. Note you can also define a date range, Subject, etc..
  4. When the search details have been defined, click "Search mail".
  5. The top row will show the number of items found.  You can click "Refine" to narrow the results.
  6. Click the very top checkbox to select all the results.
  7. DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DO THIS?
  8. Click Delete.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

THANKS!!!! Finally an answer.

However, the Trash box is now full of all these discarded emails and is grayed out.  is there a way to mass delete the Trash?  Tried the same suggestion to no avail.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have tried deleting approximately 40 emails over and over again.  I even delete from the trash and they keep on returning.  It is the same emails over and over.  Emails before and after that are deleted remain deleted.  Whay does this certain group keep coming back.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

need help deleting 24000 emails

I am in classic mail, but cannot figure out how to delete all emails from 12/31/2015 back to 2009

help

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.