Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How to change my IP

Contributor

How to change my IP

I play videogames and I am pretty competative. I play a lot and my connection is very good which I am happy about, but someone has found my IP and has resorted to hitting me offline whenever we get matched up. 

 

I have a static IP and I dont know how to get a new one. I tried using a VPN but he actually knows my IP so all that does is lag me in the first place. 

 

I need to know how to change my Public IP Address and get a new one.

 

Someone please help! 

Tags (1)
3,352 Views
Message 1 of 8
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Joe_A_
‎11-27-2015 9:20 AM

Re: How to change my IP


@Joe_A_ wrote:

I play videogames and I am pretty competative. I play a lot and my connection is very good which I am happy about, but someone has found my IP and has resorted to hitting me offline whenever we get matched up. 

 

I have a static IP and I dont know how to get a new one. I tried using a VPN but he actually knows my IP so all that does is lag me in the first place. 

 

I need to know how to change my Public IP Address and get a new one.

 

Someone please help! 


You need to contact AT&T at

800.288.2020.

 

Source: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1002300?source=redirect

Alex



Please mark replies as solutions if it fixed your problem. This helps other members find answers quickly.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
Professor

Re: How to change my IP

I have a question, just for my own personal curiosity:

When playing online games, do you NEED a static ip address, or does a dynamic address work as well?

Also, it occurs to me, you had to call someone to set up a static address in the first place, so it seems all you need to do is re-call them and have it re-assigned to a new one, if a static number is really required.

(Seems to me, a dynamic address changes every time you make a new connection, therefore, no way your gaming buddy can predict it.)

Thanks.

I have to admit, I'm seeing gaming questions more lately, and truth is, i'm just not real familiar with it, and how it works.

(I have legacy dsl at 6mbps, so doubt i'd be able to play based on the slow connection speed.)

Message 3 of 8

Re: How to change my IP


@Tigereyze209 wrote:

I have a question, just for my own personal curiosity:

When playing online games, do you NEED a static ip address, or does a dynamic address work as well?

Also, it occurs to me, you had to call someone to set up a static address in the first place, so it seems all you need to do is re-call them and have it re-assigned to a new one, if a static number is really required.

(Seems to me, a dynamic address changes every time you make a new connection, therefore, no way your gaming buddy can predict it.)

Thanks.

I have to admit, I'm seeing gaming questions more lately, and truth is, i'm just not real familiar with it, and how it works.

(I have legacy dsl at 6mbps, so doubt i'd be able to play based on the slow connection speed.)


You can play on a dynamic IP. You just have to open up your firewall a little. It has always worked fine for me.

Alex



Please mark replies as solutions if it fixed your problem. This helps other members find answers quickly.
Message 4 of 8
Contributor

Re: How to change my IP

Thank you! Great response. It worked I got my IP changed!! 

Message 5 of 8

Re: How to change my IP


@Joe_A_ wrote:

Thank you! Great response. It worked I got my IP changed!! 


You are welcome.

Alex



Please mark replies as solutions if it fixed your problem. This helps other members find answers quickly.
Message 6 of 8
Contributor

Re: How to change my IP

Hi I was playing one late night and out of nowhere someone joined my Xbox live party and he said that he found out my IP address and he said he is going to kick me offline and turns out he did and now I'm wondering if there is a way to change my IP address so he can stop hitting me offline
Message 7 of 8
Contributor

Re: How to change my IP

I have a similar situation where my public IP address was spoofed and used for suspicious activity on Ticketmaster.com, resulting in my public IP address being permanently blocked.  Ticketmaster has no process to unblock an address.  I was told that despite using the term "dynamic", the broadband IP address is actually assigned to the account, not the hardware, and cannot even be changed by replacing the Residential Gateway modem (I tried).  AT&T apparently has no process to assign a new IP address to the account, which makes me wonder if they understand the definition of "dynamic."  Yes, I can change my account to using static IP addresses, but that will cost me $15/mo or $180/year and that's very expensive considering AT&T's failure to protect my public IP address in the first place.  I should not have to pay extra for an IP address that has not been hacked.

 

David Deitch

Sandy Springs, GA

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support