Protect yourself online
winsall's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2019 3:30 PM

Hacked account. Cannot delete fraudulent recovery email addresses.

Our sbcglobal.net email account was hacked AGAIN.  We were able to reset the password and get in again.

In the Yahoo profile settings, there are 4 recovery emails shown.  Two of these are fraudulent.  I have been unable to do the following:

1. Remove the fraudulent recovery email addresses.  This allows the hackers to recover the account whenever they would like.

2. Add a recovery phone number.  The account shows none and there is nowhere to edit it.

3. Turn on 2 factor authentication.  Under account security it only says "Password is enabled" with no other options.  

I was able to restore the contacts which were deleted, remove the fraudulent filter that was sending all email to the archive folder, remove the fraudulent reply to address, but the above options are not available to me anywhere and I have spent hours trying to find where to edit this info.

Please post information if you can help me.

Thanks.

Bob

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

I don't understand some of what you say. 

• Yahoo profile settings?  Your att accounts should be in your att account settings which you access through your myAT&T.
  • 4 recovery emails show? There is only one email recovery email address for any one account?
  • Not being able to "Remove the fraudulent recovery email addresses"?  You log into your myAT&T, navigate to your profile, click Contact Info, which gives you the ability to change email recovery email address.  Accessing the profile's sign-in info allows you to change your security questions and secure mail key for email clients. 

So everything hinges on whether you can log into your myAT&T.  You mentioned "Yahoo profile settings".  But I imply you can get in that but that you really mean the att myAT&T profile instead.  So there is not reason you can't change all the these things.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

No...ATT gave me yahoo email.  myname@sbcglobal.net was provided when I signed up for DSL.  It constantly gets hacked.  Not a unique problem for sure since there are FAQ's about the exact issue all over the yahoo/att website.  Most of the email settings are in the yahoo settings.  Yes I can get into the ATT account profile.  That is for my internet account.  The email on the other hand is through yahoo because that's what ATT provides with the internet account.  I think this is ridiculous to be honest but that's the way it is. 

So....if you still want to try to help....please look at this screenshot of the exact page I am referring to.  If I make a change to my password or email settings, all of the recovery emails listed get an email notice indicating the change that was made.  For instance, a password change is reported to all the recovery emails.  Also, all of the recovery emails can be used to reset the password for the email which means the 2 emails added by two different hackers can be used at any time to easily reset the password to lock me out of my email.  I can then reset it using my recovery email but by then the hacker has sent a phishing letter to all my contacts, deletes the contacts, sets up malicious filters and forwarding addresses...etc.    Here is a link to the screenshot.  https://tinyurl.com/yxurutzb

This is being done many many times a day to att/yahoo email users.  A quick google shows it's a huge problem.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

The page I linked to above is called the Yahoo Privacy Dashboard and is the only place to change security related settings for yahoo email.  Cannot turn on 2 factor auth either.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

No...ATT gave me yahoo email. myname@sbcglobal.net was provided when I signed up for DSL.

That's an att (legacy) account.

Yes I can get into the ATT account profile. That is for my internet account. The email on the other hand is through yahoo because that's what ATT provides with the internet account. I think this is ridiculous to be honest but that's the way it is.

Yahoo does not handle any of the legacy accounts.  Once upon a time att email accounts were merged with yahoo and you could get into your email from there and I suppose manage it.  But some months ago att and yahoo attempted to unmerge them.  The "ridiculous" part is their botched attempt at doing the unmerge (IMO).  So I suspect you are caught in the "twilight zone" where your email was not unmerged properly leaving you not able to properly maintain the account.

So like all other problems with legacy account problems that make no sense I always recommend calling the Digital Assistance Center (877-273-2728) to see if they can straighten it out. 

Or maybe you will get lucky and ATTCares will see this thread and ask you for more information.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.