For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
bkr40's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Monday, February 18th, 2013 12:03 AM

Email works from Web mail but not Outlook

I have a sub account for my son that he can log into from Web Mail.  When he tries to access the account from Outlook it returns an error that the id is password was rejected.

The account is configured with the following settings:

xxxx@sbcglobal.net

POP Server:  pop.att.yahoo.com

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Are you saying that ATT can't support/isn't compatible with Outlook?

"...the webmail login blocks 3rd party email programs from connecting..."

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@ghb5719 wrote:

Are you saying that ATT can't support/isn't compatible with Outlook?

"...the webmail login blocks 3rd party email programs from connecting..."

Sort of.  He's saying that the mail server periodically requires CAPTCHA authentication.  The Outlook client cannot provide that.  You can provide that by periodically logging in to the WEBMAIL application an answering the CAPTCHA challenge.  Once this is done, the AT&T/Yahoo mail servers will allow the Outlook clients to connect.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

This is unfortunate I have wasted so much time on this and am far from thrilled of the prospect of continually having to manage this special reset.  Believe it best I leave ATT

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

ghb5719 - No need to leave att. There are plenty of alternatives. It is better to have your e-mail free of the ISP so that it does not notice when you change ISPs. Also, it is a good idea to have more than one account. It is easy to juggle multiple accounts with Outlook.

I have a few att accounts, a few gmail accounts and an apple account managed with macmail.

Find a free e-mail account that you like & download your stuff from att & set the att account to forward any new mail to your new gmail account.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have 2 SBCGlobal accounts that have the same passcode on att.net- linked. Both have been working in Outlook fine for last 2 yrs- now the one account - it will not accept the password and I cannot get email from this specific account... only via web mail and on my phone. Do you have suggestions on how to fix?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Hello, I will try to make this brief...

After changing passwords on 4 sub-accounts (3 att.net and 1 sbcglobal.net) and after much grief (outlook does not accept hyphens & underscores) I managed to change outlook passwords on 2 accounts.  The 3rd. account required additional reset of password by way of text verification and changing of password however; the sbcglobal.net account is not working regardless of the procedure.

Logging into att.net requires the new password however; mail.yahoo.com will only accept the original password.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

ignores the question....why doesn't the same password work?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I had been experiencing this exact same problem over the pass several days with a Uverse subaccount where Outlook on laptop kept giving a password error.  No problems using iPhone mail app and webmail to get messages.  Found this solution and tried it and it worked! Thanks! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.