For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
bkr40's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Monday, February 18th, 2013 12:03 AM

Email works from Web mail but not Outlook

I have a sub account for my son that he can log into from Web Mail.  When he tries to access the account from Outlook it returns an error that the id is password was rejected.

The account is configured with the following settings:

xxxx@sbcglobal.net

POP Server:  pop.att.yahoo.com

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Since the primary account is working but not the sub-account, I am hoping it's not a mail server issue.

Another thing worth trying is sometimes, the webmail login blocks 3rd party email programs from connecting. The reason for this is that a captcha, the funny shapes and letters, code is required during the webmail login. Because in this case, Outlook and MacMail does not have the ability to send that, it automatically fails to authenticate.

To get around this, you have to verify login on both sites:

1) Go to att.net and choose mail and login from there. Logout after you were able to successfully login.

2) Go to mail.yahoo.com and login from there.

Also, here is a great site that goes over step by step configurations of the E-mail Client settings just to make sure everything is setup correctly.

Hopefully, this is what the issue is and you are finally able to access your mail via Outlook again. Let us know how it goes.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I used my Uverse master account to create a sub account for my son.  He can access email when using Web Mail from Internet Explorer.  This is with the same email address and password that won't work with Outlook.  When I set up Outlook and he tries to send/receive it returns an error that the id or password was rejected by the server.

Here's the settings which I'm also using for my own account (except id and password of course) and they work just fine.  There is nothing different expect the email address and password and again mine works fine.  I also have 2 other sub accounts for other family members that also work just fine.  I cannot figure out what the problem is with this sub-account:

Incoming server: pop.att.yahoo.com (also tried inbound.att.net)

Outgoing server: smtp.att.yahoo.com (also tried outbound.att.net)

User Name: xxxx@sbcglobal.net

password: ********

More settings:

Outgoing Server:

CHECK: My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication

CHECK: Log on using

user name: (son's email address)

password: (his password)

CHECK: remember password

Connection:

CHECK: Connect using local area network (LAN)

Advanced:

Incoming server (POP3): 995 (SSL checked)

Outgoing server: 465  (SSL selected)

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

You can try taking a look at this document: Outlook Error Codes to see if it my be of any assistance.  Here are some additional documents for your review: U-verse email

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I'm not even getting any Outlook error codes.  To add more to this problem is that mail on our iMac that has worked just fine accessing his email is now also not working.  This points at the problem being on AT&T's side not anything to do with Outlook since it's not just Outlook but Mac Mail as well.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

If that's the case I would call 800-288-2020 and ask to speak to mail support.  If it's the mail servers they would be the only ones that can resolve it.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

David,

Your suggestion did fix the problem.  Thank You!

As an FYI, I have 4 sub-accounts under the uverse master account and 3 of the 4 were/are working fine thru Outlook and Mac Mail.  This 1 account out of the 4 was the only one that wouldn't work with Outlook and Mac Mail and it had been.  That's why I felt that the issue was not with Outlook since Mac Mail didn't work either and yet when I went to ATT.MY.YAHOO.COM I could get into the email.  Apparently, logging into mail.yahoo.com cleared up the problem.  The broken email account is also working on Mac Mail again.

P.S.  I had contacted support and they wanted to charge me $49.95 to troubleshoot this issue.  I refused to pay for troubleshooting an issue that appeared to be on the mail server end.  It would be nice if they have told me to try what you recommended or been able to refer me to some additional troubleshooting information.

Can we get your suggested fix added to the documents provided for setting up an email client like Outlook? 

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

David,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. They cleared up the problem. I was able to get Outlook working and it is also working thru Mac Mail again.

I also posted a reply on the discussion site with more detail.

Bryan

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Glad we could help. Also, I am working on getting a help document created on this issue. Thank you very much for your response. I am happy that everything all worked out.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Just wanted everyone to know that I had the same problem, and tried this solution.  It works.  I was also having the problem on Thunderbird on a Linux system, but haven't tried it.  However, will be shortly, but I"m sure it will work.  Thanks for the help.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Ok, checked it out on Thunderbird that is on my Linux system.  No problems.  Worked as it did on the Outlook in Windows XP Pro.  So, this is definitely the solution for anyone with the same problem.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.