For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
gr8sho's profile
ACE - Professor

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

Thursday, August 2nd, 2018 6:35 PM

Email subaccount not being created

For whatever reason, I cannot create a subaccount.  Is this function active and still being supported?  The webpage is linked off of myatt profile.   Filling out all the required fields does not result in successful completion.  Tried this via phone, tablet and PC.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Were you logged in as the primary account holder?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

6 years ago

Yeah, but ATT made this setup very confusing with allowing multiple email addresses to manage the account.  So now that you mentioned it, I'm going to make a left at albequacky and try again with an att.net login instead of the gmail account I normally use.

In the meanwhile, can you tell me if you've tried to do this yourself recently with success?  For sure the way I did it, something is clearly broken because no error message is being displayed.  After trying to submit the completed form, the screen just kicks back with no changes.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I'm going to make a left at albequacky and try again with an att.net login instead of the gmail account I normally use

Huh?  GMail account you normally use?  What did I miss?

In the meanwhile, can you tell me if you've tried to do this yourself recently with success?

No I haven't.  I've never needed sub-accounts.   No one else uses my att account so no additional accounts are needed.  Don't need them for alternate email addresses either since I always use other email accounts I have with other free email service providers for that (e.g., gmail).

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

6 years ago

Just because you don't need one, doesn't mean you can't try...  Man Happy

And to your question, ISP email accounts are perishable.  I learned this the hard way a long time ago and to this day am still trying to dig out of that hole.  Everything back 20 years ago had been tagged with an Adelphia.net account and look where that ended up.  GMAIL to me is ubiquitous.  Something I expect to outlast my lifetime.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I misread your sentence about gmail.   Sorry.

I really don't have too much interest in experimenting with att's accounting including creating sub-accounts.  I fear it's too fragile so I leave well enough alone.  I only really need my (primary account) for att access (and nothing more.   I do use the account to access the att/yahoo email only to try to answer questions on these forums but I don't actually use the att/yahoo email for my email service.

For may actual email I use a different email service (a pay one that's reliable and actually has support).  Since I only use email via POP all my email is kept on my machine so it's always backed up (IMAP would work here too but I don't need it).  And email addresses are not a concern since I use a forwarding service to whatever email service I am currently signed up for.  No one ever knows my actual email service email address, only the forwarding service email address which I've used since I started using email many many years ago.  Switch email service, change the forwarding address to it, done (some people create their own domains to accomplish the same thing).  Makes it trivial to switch email services. 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

6 years ago

I had dabbled with running my own mail server years ago. Mercury I think it was.  Anyway, Gmail is good enough for my needs.

Back to the matter at hand.  It appears you get the prize for the correct answer or at least putting me on the correct path.  In order for subaccounts to be managed, you have to login into att.com with the master att.net account.  I say appears because I was able to get past the submit form task.  Once I see the subaccount listed, I'll know it was fully successful.  They say it can take 24 hours for the process to complete.

Incredible to me this case hasn't been handled before.  

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

6 years ago

@_xyzzy_

Solution is, must sign into to att.com with master att.net email account.  Thanks for assist.

Creating a user subaccount can be useful if using a password manager to create complex passwords for critical or important accounts such as the master account, and the subaccount can be used for something like accessing Uverse authentication on an Amazon firestick that uses a simple remote without keyboard.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

6 years ago

Subaccounts are also useful for handing to children to watch TV on their devices and not having to give them the main password. 🙂

Something I'd like to see Netflex (and Plex) do a better job of.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

6 years ago

Right  I already had those setup years ago, but now needed another for myself. ☺

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.