Email contacts disappear

Tutor

Email contacts disappear

Today I noticed a problem with my email contacts missing in my sbcglobal.net/yahoo email account.  When I click on the contacts tab it says I have over 120 contacts and displays them all.  When I click on a list of contacts that I created it says the list is empty, then when I click on "all contacts" it says that I don't have any contacts.  Also, when a contact sends me an email, my inbox say 2 new emails, 0 from contacts.  Is anyone else having this problem or can explain what is going on?  Anyone from AT&T on this message board that can help?  Thanks

Message 1 of 45 (13,666 Views)
Tutor

Re: Email contacts disappear

I"ve been having the same trouble for a few months now.  At first it was only in Internet Explorer, but as of today it's happening in Apple Safari too.  I hope someone has an answer.

Message 2 of 45 (13,139 Views)
Tutor

Wow -- I certainly hope it doesn't take months to resolve this.  I have tried IE 8 from work, Safari and Firefox from home and the problem is the same.  Anyone from AT & T out there?

Message 3 of 45 (13,133 Views)
Tutor

After scanning other posts here, it looks like it has been going on for months and ATT has no idea how to fix it.  Good luck!

Message 4 of 45 (13,132 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

We have been having the exact same problem for months.  No fix.  I was lucky and got my contact list to print after trying many times.  It always disappears when I look at it and scroll down.  I haven't been able to access the contact list to forward an email for a long time.  Sometimes it works OK but will the contact list will quickly disappear.  I am going with hotmail or gmail for my email, can't afford to trust AT&T to fix this. 

Message 5 of 45 (13,103 Views)
Tutor

address book is there but it doesn't work?

My address book does not work anymore for emails.  I type the first letter and before names would pop up and I could pick which one I wanted.  Now, nothing comes up and I can't email anyone.  Can anyone tell me how to fix that without having to call fricken Shrilanka?

Message 6 of 45 (12,843 Views)
Scholar

Re: address book is there but it doesn't work?

[ Edited ]

This is a problem with many users, both ATT and Yahoo.  I read that Yahoo is working on it, but it's been more than several weeks (longer?) now and still no fix.

This is not a client side problem, so there is really nothing you can do to fix it.

Some say switching back to mail classic fixes the problem, but my guess is the old system uses different Yahoo infrastructure, so it appears to be a client issue.

I've tried the "new" yahoo email and it seems to always have problems with contacts lately.  It worked OK unitl about a month or so ago.  Using att mail (web mail) l also have problems, but there are times when contacts do work.  Tried classic mail and it had the least contact problems.

I've also read that Yahoo has people resource problems (aka layoffs), so getting things done is taking longer these days.

Just read another thread with people having Outlook problems.  Works sometimes, other times not.  Lots of finger pointing from support, no solutions.

Message 7 of 45 (12,822 Views)
Contributor

I too have been reporting this problem to att, prodigy, yahoo and sbcglobal, but no one anywhere seems to give a darn that they are all failing their paying customers! att is failing miserably now, they don't seem to give a hoot about this issue in the least.

Message 8 of 45 (12,961 Views)
Scholar

There are MANY users with Contact List ( aka address book ) problems, both Yahoo and AT&T.

Some say switching to Mail Classic "fixes" the problems.  I think Mail Classic uses different infrastructure and as such appears to make things better.

IMO, AT&T and Yahoo have a systemic problem with contacts.  They need to put some good people on it and get it fixed.

Message 9 of 45 (12,941 Views)
Scholar

Did a little test with my contact list today.

My contact list has 31 entries  (not huge)

Create new mail message

Click on "To:"

Only 23 contacts appear in the list

I'm missing 8 contacts (somehow)

Not sure if this is new behavior or not.  I do recall having to manually my brother's e-mail address the other day, because his name didn't auto-complete.  Used to work fine before.

Message 10 of 45 (12,938 Views)
Tutor

Print out a copy of your contact list asap as you may soon be unable to print it.

Message 11 of 45 (12,933 Views)
Scholar

Already have. Smiley Happy  Thanks.

Message 12 of 45 (12,923 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestion to try the "classic" version.  I'll see what that does.  I have also imported my contacts to my gmail account and may just switch to that as my primary account.

Message 13 of 45 (12,915 Views)

Again contacts not working

I'm being to think ATT and Yahoo don't care about their customers. Again I've lost the ability to automatically load my contacts.

This is getting to the point that I wonder if we really need AT&T along with Yahoo.

With all the information that I have on my computer I really don't want to do a reload of Windows Vista 64 to see if that will solve the problem.

I see that others who have tried other web browsers have had no luck in getting their contacts to work properly.

I don't really know what to do next. I NEED my contacts!! (no I'm not shouting, just emphasizing the need).

Message 14 of 45 (12,858 Views)
Contributor

I've been having this same problem for some time now...finally reached someone helpful today at ATT customer service.  First, it seems like the problems started when I changed to the newer version of ATT mail.  I'm told they don't have all the bugs worked out yet!  Anyway, to solve my problem I had to 1) change my password, and 2) switch back to ATT Classic mail.  I had tried to do that on my own, but would always get a Feedback window instead.  Customer service helped me to bypass the feedback window and change my mail back to Classic mail.  All my contacts have been restored.

Hope this works for you!

Message 15 of 45 (12,861 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.