For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
Oldguy44's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, December 22nd, 2016 1:34 AM

E-mail hacked and address stolen.

1.  Three days ago I began receiving messages from MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com (error code 475) that were addressed to my e-mail address.  Several friends sent me e-mails reporting strange messages from me and suggested that I'd been hacked.  I contacted AT&T and had several long discussions with U-Verse technical support.  On their advice I followed the password reset protocol on three separate occasions and received the appropriate acknowledgement messages from AT&T Online Services.  I deleted ALL e-mails from my Inbox and Sent Messages associated with the e-mail address on my desk top, lap top, and mobile phone. The MAILER-DAEMON messages continued -- three the first day, 40+ the second, 25+ the third.  Is there any escape from this situation except eliminating the e-mail address?  And if I do that, can I disassociate myself from that address?

2.  How does one contact Yahoo e-mail?

3.  Is this part of the "Yahoo breach" or something else?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

Note that anyone can send an e-mail "from" any e-mail address.  This is a weakness in the SMTP protocol. Seeing an e-mail "from" someone does not necessarily mean the e-mail account on the "from" has been hacked.  Getting NDR (non-delivery report) bounce backs to your address doesn't mean you've been hacked (for the same reason).  The e-mail not being in your sent folder is evidence that your actual account was not used to send the e-mail but that the "from" address was spoofed.

Viruses sometimes capture e-mail messages from a machine they have infected and harvest the e-mail addresses in those e-mail to use to send e-mail to and from the various parties, thinking that those people will be more likely to open an e-mail that has the other's addresses in it.

Thus it could be someone to whom you sent an e-mail, or who sent you an e-mail, or recieved an e-mail sent to both you and them, has been invected with malware.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Did you verify the strange emails your friends got actually came from your account? In other words, were those emails in your sent folder? If so, the problem could be a computer virus. If changing your email address doesn't stop those emails, it more than likely is a virus. If those emails were not in your sent folder, that could mean your email address is being spoofed. In other words, the bogus emails may not actually be sent from your account, it is just made to look like they came from your account. If that is the case, there really isn't much you can do.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Sandblaster -- Thanks for the reply.  None of the messages were in my Sent box.  After I cleaned out ALL of my boxes and checked my Address Book and verified and cleaned up the addresses saved by the mail software I changed the password.  The Daemons are still pouring in and this morning I recognized some of the addressees, including my wife's SBC account.  I think AT&T has lost a customer.  If the posts to this forum are any indication, this "spoofing" is a major event and AT&T/Yahoo and all of their corporate pieces should really address the problem.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the reply.  None of the messages were in my Sent box.  After I cleaned out ALL of my boxes and checked my Address Book and verified and cleaned up the addresses saved by the mail software I changed the password.  The Daemons are still pouring in and this morning I recognized some of the addressees, including my wife's SBC account.  I think AT&T has lost a customer.  If the posts to this forum are any indication, this "spoofing" is a major event and AT&T/Yahoo and all of their corporate pieces should really address the problem.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Friends are getting an email from me that I did not send with an attachment wanting them to open which probably have a virus.  What do I do?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

okay, so the SMPT allows this to happen. My question is how do you delete or control

the usage. Something like 30-45 messages were sent. Help! why hasn't the SMPT protocol been updated and changed.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Having issue with sending e-mail. I get error 475: Suspicious activity was dedected on your accout.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Iam having an issue with my email password being changed without my knowing. I have been trying to change my password but keep getting redirected to an error page reading, ' Something isn't working right. Give it some time and try again. (Error code:652314)".

It has been almost 2 days now and im getting frustrated, cant get ahold of anyone. Yahoo & ATT are probably getting dropped after this.......

Have you got any answers for me? 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Hi all,

I just completely lost my att.yahoo.com email. It started as others said here, a request to change email or confirm and then i got dozens of spam. It is extremely important to recover my thousands of work emails.

How do I recover my account. Did the recent purchase affect it?

Any knowledgeable help is needed on recovering my same account. I keep being asked to change password or create account.

Now my password key box keeps coming up every 5 minutes.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Not sure-my email was AT&T<***@mail.mcgill.ca> and said AT&T MAILBOX -unexpected sign-in click below to secure. Is this real?

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.