Explore & discover

Helpful Links

E-mail account hack

Highlighted
Contributor

E-mail account hack

We have received an e-mail from our own address threatening to lock our device in 48 hours if we don't pay hacker in Bitcoin.  Says he has access to our contact list, history and files.  We have changed our password several times in the past month in response to some e-mails from our contacts saying they have received false invoices from our e-mail address.  The hacker says he installed a trojan on our device and made full dump of our disc.  We do have security on several of our devices but not on phones that we access e-mail with.  Is this something we should be worried about?  Any suggestions on what we can do?

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: E-mail account hack

Others have gotten that one too (I got one a month or two back, and its not just att users).  It's phishing (extortion actually).  They have nothing.  Just trash it. 

As for the false invoices I believe that has nothing to do with the extortion.  Just like the person who sent you that extortion used your email address to spoof the sender name other spammers probably have it too.  It's not clear how they got it.  Maybe you slipped up at some point and posted it or maybe one of your contacts was hacked and got their contacts list and you were on it.  Also are those false invoices copies of actual invoices you send out?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

We do not send out any invoices from our e-mail so the invoices could not be copies.  None of our contacts actually opened up the attachments to our knowledge.
Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

Ok, so the invoice spamming/phishing is just that, spamming/phishing, using your email address.  It has nothing to do with your original problem which is what I said previously.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
Contributor

Thanks again.  So you don't think the extortion is anything to worry about either?

Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by pearpruss
‎02-07-2019 9:01 AM

As I said, no.    I just trashed mine and moved on.  The only thing you know now is your email address is out in the wild, but then you would already have known that by the "invoices" phishing you mentioned.  So you can probably expect more spam/phishing emails in the future (addresses are spread/sold on lists to spammers all over the world in time), not really that extortion kind of spam, just spam of various annoying kinds (loans, dept, meet Russian girls, CBD, wines, etc. -- but everybody's spam is more-or-less different in categories).  The email service can mitigate some of this depending on how aggressive their spam filters are but the spammers are always trying to find ways to get around the various service's filters. 

I've had my same email address since the 90's (not an att address) and given that amount of time there's is really no way to keep it a secret so I get some spam almost every day in my spam folder.  But I can control it (currently 0-2 per day -- I use a different email service) so it doesn't bother me.  It's just life in the internet age.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support