For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
Wakemama's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, August 25th, 2019 3:39 PM

Duplicate email after AT&T/Yahoo mail merge

So I've used sbcglobal email forever.   Then they went to AT&T.   And I continued to use the email.   Now that they have merged the webmail clients with yahoo, i'm getting my emails duplicated every time.   

https://imgur.com/820qI6C

Image above shows how the emails comes into the inbox twice.   It happens for every email.  Any ideas anyone?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Ah, now I think I understand...well mostly.  Originally I thought what you showed was the main display, not a message display.  Your main display in your second picture is exactly what I expected. 

Looking at the second picture you don't get this double display on every email do you?  I see the "2" only on the one I assume you sent to yourself and you see two instances of the message.  I am not exactly sure of the reasoning but I think it's showing both what you sent and what you received.  This happens due to having "conversations" enabled (something I never enable which is why I was initially confused).  I keep an email I sent to myself always in the inbox to suppress that d@mn movie display when a mailbox is empty.  I enabled conversations and sure enough the "2" appeared and when I clicked the messages I saw the two instances of my message.

So, moral, turn off conversations.  Click settings -> more settings -> viewing email -> group by conversation and click the little slider to the left to turn it off.

Initially I said "mostly".  What I still don't understand in your first picture is why it says "Yahoo/Inbox" in the upper right while mine says "att/yahoo ... /Inbox".  At any rate I believe the double display is due to conversations being enabled.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

There's some other few things I don't understand about that image you show. 

1. Just how are you getting previews like that of multiple messages if they truly are multiple messages.  Both have the same date and time so I don't think they are multiple messages.  Or is that what you see when you click on a message to view it?
  2. Where does that icon in the toolbar to the left of the up and down triangles on the right come from, i.e., the one with the two short horizontal bars?  It almost looks like a "collapse"/"expand" function of some sort.  I don't have that in my att/yahoo webmail display.
  3. Just below that it says "Yahoo/inbox" while mine says "Att/Yahoo... /Inbox" which only shows when I display a message (see 1 above).

I cannot find any settings combinations that produce that kind of display so I wonder if you are actually getting a duplicate email and it's just not displaying the message in the window twice.  While you logos in the upper left has the att logo to the left of "Yahoo", which is correct, I cannot explain the display differences.  The one that says "Yahoo/Inbox" is the most curious.  It's almost as if you are using yahoo webmail and not att/yahoo webmail but I cannot explain the logos if that is the case.  I don't have a yahoo email account so I cannot say whether these differences are in their display.

Now that they have merged the webmail clients with yahoo, i'm getting my emails duplicated every time.

Actually att and yahoo have (or continually attempting) to be unmerging the att accounts from yahoo.  And the att/yahoo webmail has it's own site accessed through start.att.net, att's own home page.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Here is how the emails come in.   Inbox shows 1 message, but under the actually main section of the inbox it shows 2.   And I actually have to delete both of them as if they are 2 individual e-mails.   More of a nuisance than anything really.

https://imgur.com/mRhLb62

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I'll give it a shot and see if this fixes it. A lot of the time the duplicates tend to come in with junk/spam emails that make it to my inbox lol.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you the suggestion you mention took care of the issue.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

I have a separate problem.  All emails I send from my sbcglobal email account using the native app on my Samsung S8+ or Outlook for Android are sent twice, and two copies show up in my Sent folder.  However, if I send an email from the same account through Outlook 365 on my laptop, only a single copy is sent.  I read on a different message board that this appears to be an issue with changes to Yahoo Mail security, because the duplicate problem does not occur if one uses the new Yahoo mail app on an Android phone.  I don't want to have to use the Yahoo Mail app to avoid this problem.  Please advise.  Thank you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I have had the same problem for about two weeks or so.  I have 2 copies of emails in my Sent box for each email I send.  I have 2 email accounts, and it is happening with both of them regardless of whether I send from my phone or my computer.  I'm not using the Yahoo mail app.  To make matters worse, when I send a test message to myself, I also receive 2 copies of the email.  Any resolution yet? 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I have the same problem since I switched to AT&T Currently with Yahoo mail.  All sent messages are duplicated on all devices, smartphone, laptop, and desktop. One of the duplicate emails appears with title in bold type with a blue dot next to it. Conversations are not enabled. Does anyone have a fix?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I'm sorry, I don't understand. What I posted is not a solution.  It is a variant of the same problem outlined above by others. To my knowledge the recipients are receiving just one email. However, 2 copies appear in my sent emails.  I am hoping someone can offer a suggestion to remedy this.

Tutor

• 

15 Messages

4 years ago

count me in -- same problem - only started recently: send a message from iPhone mail or outlook on imac and yahoo mail on the web, iPhone mail, outlook imap on my imac, etc all show two copies of the same sent email in the sent folder (one with blue dot and one without blue dot). turning off "save copy" (to server) in imap account advanced settings on outlook doesn't change anything.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.