Protect yourself online
married2mrwright's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, December 29th, 2012 7:02 PM

Dropped DSL connection

Our DSL connection drops when my husband and I are both on it. It doesn't do it only one of us is on. I am on a desktop and he's using a laptop. It's getting to the point we can't both be on at the same time. Any one know what could be causing this? Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

married2mrwright,

Welcome to the forum. I'll include a link for DSL troubleshooting and setting up a wireless network that will hopefully help you out.

DSL troubleshoot

Setting up a Wireless Network

I am wondering a few things about your set up.

Is your husband hard wired to router while you are on wireless with your laptop?

Will connection be lost on both units or will just one of you be knocked off, and who will be knocked off if just one of you?

Which modem and wireless routers are you using?

James

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I suspect a computer's internet connection goes to sleep and DHCP then gives the other computer the same IP address and when the old one wakes up it finds it cannot get the old IP address back.

We solved it by giving our computers fixed IP addresses - your router may allow you to reserve addresses for certain devices. So if your router is 192.168.1.1 or something you could give your computers 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.11.

Not sure that this is the problem - but it could be. I've had problems with iPhones going to sleep then waking up. Usually you can fix this by turning off networking on the affected device and turning it on again, but that's a pain.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.