For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
CatladyDane's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Sunday, October 6th, 2013 1:22 AM

Don't want anything going to SPAM folder

I HATE webmail!!!  I pick up my messages in Outlook 2010, where I have my SPAM folder disabled (i.e., nothing goes to JUNK; all goes to INBOX).  Webmail is labor intensive and just plain annoying!

Recently upgraded to U-Verse.  Because I failed to receive an ebill from one of my creditors, I went looking in webmail just in case it was there, which it wasn't, so to the best of my knowledge, that wasn't an AT&T failure.

However, the SPAM folder in webmail had tons of messages, many of which were IMPORTANT!!!!  No wonder I thought that nobody responded to my craigslist ad!  The fact that they went into SPAM there apparently caused them to not load to my Outlook INBOX.  (How many previous messages were withheld from me in this manner?)

My attempted "emergency" fix was to set my Outlook junk folder to "high" so spam will hopefully land there, but it didn’t help.  To get these messages into Outlook I have to go into webmail and forward them to myself! 

My real question is:  Is there a way to tell AT&T/Yahoo to send everything to my INBOX and nothing to SPAM?

No, I don't want to have to go into webmail and tell it that each message is not spam...it's not a case of regular senders going to SPAM, it's a case of senders who may only email me once or twice - I need to receive those messages (without going through the check-webmail-and-forward-to-myself stupidity as mentioned above)!

I don't want AT&T/Yahoo deciding what is important to me; that should by MY choice.  I do not want anything ever going into a SPAM folder.  I will decide what is junk and/or spam and either "unsubscribe" or report it to spam@uce.gov as is appropriate.

Thank you.

Community Support

• 

231.3K Messages

7 years ago

Thanks,

Some issues are caused by Mailboxes. The current solution we have is:

Check the created filters under Mail Options -> Filters
Remove any filters that move mail to the trash

-ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for the suggestion, but I don’t have any filters directed toward either the Trash (or Junk or Spam).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Test

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I do not have multiple mailboxes. I use Outlook 2007 on my pc as my primary mail client. Recently found that the online ATT/Yahoo mail account is randomly putting important messages in its spam folder and not allowing them to go to Outlook. A way to turn off the online junk email filter is urgently needed. Help!

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

You know, when I read these threads, and ATTCares responds, I think they come up with a canned/boilerplate response that closest approximates the situation and are totally ignore other similar threads addressing the same problem.  And when all else fails they end up saying "sorry for your problem, send a private message to @ATTHelpForums".  ATTCustomerCare, in turn, comes up with their own canned/boilerplate response approximation (or just says "sorry" and you you never hear from them again).

This problem has been discussed before (see this thread) with no good solution.  The problem has nothing to do with whether you use ATT/Yahoo webmail or any email client you choose.  The problem is ATT/Yahoo email service "thinking" they know better than the user and they are going to decide what is and is not spam.   You cannot override spam processing with filters since they will do spam filtering before user defined filtering (that or filtering isn't working at all) and you cannot turn spam filtering off.

Note, I did send a private message to @ATTHelpForums complaining about this spam problem. They responded (from someone in India, right, like they would know anything about ATT/Yahoo email service) saying "We hate to see you disappointed", please identify yourself and we'll get back to you".  I did.  That's the last I heard from them. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Found that ATT added a filter "Blank Subject Line Filter". If subject line does not pass muster, email goes to spam. I deleted the filter, tested and everything is back to normal(?).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Att or DirectTV do not want to fix email problem... looking over past replys .. I use Thunderbird as my email client.. I hate having to ck att.net to see of I missed some mail.. When you call you get someone that is vary hard to understand and does not seem to care and act like this is the first time they ever heard of problem..

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

This may have worked in 2013 but it doesn't in 2017!!!  There in no londer a "mail options" option when you click the gear wheel.  Is at&t ever going to to anything about this???  I'm obviously not the on;e one with tis problem.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

@gdkanesaid:

>Is at&t ever going to to anything about this???

Ha, don't expect ATT to do anything about this.  As far as they are concerned it is (a) a problem with your email client setup and/or (b) Yahoo's problem.  And since there is no obvious way to contact Yahoo about their support to ATT I don't expect this stuff to ever be fixed. 

Anyone know a good 3rd party (pop) email service provider?  A quick search shows they aren't too expensive (less than $5 to $10 per month for paid basic service - I'm leery of a free service).  It's unfortunate and ridiculous that I have to consider this necessary but I don't see any alternative at this point.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I've been struggling with the same thing. AT&T customer service is a hit or miss thing. If you are lucky enough to get someone whose primary language is English, doesn't talk too fast, and can operate off script you stand a small chance. I lost an unknown number of valid emails (Amazon order info, Amazon and UPS shipping information, even messages from AT&T!!! etc.) to the spam folder because I didn't want to use the web browser because it was slow, buggy, feature deficient, and generally klugey. Turns out that stuff in the spam folder has a lifespan of 30 days and then it is deleted permanently. Not cool. Marking something NOT SPAM had no effect. I have been asking for all emails to be passed through and NOT routed to the spam folder so I can use an email client that is not suffering from a large traumatic brain injury like Outlook (not great but approximately 1000 times better than the yahoo web interface which I think could have been designed and coded better by a bunch of 8th graders. Talked to 6 people who were at least 25 timezones away and had no clue and/or interest in the problem. I finally got a hold of a supervisor who deftly threw the problem over the wall to yahoo and, as we all know, there is no yahoo technical support.

I had a problem with amazon and called their tech support on an unrelated problem and happened to mention Yahoo throwing away most of their messages to me. As bad as AT&T tech support is, Amazon is the exact opposite. After making sure they understood the problem they said "I assure you I will help you find an answer". Imagine that. They suggested adding the spam message email to the yahoo contacts and marking it not spam. That alleviated most but not all of the erroneous routing to spam.

BTW, the web interface presented to my iPhone and iPad has changed and it's even worse than before. Prior to the change, the page had a blue background. The new one has a white background. You have to scroll down to the bottom of the page to delete a message and there is now way that I have found yet to refresh the display. What an abomination.

Getting back to the Verizon issue, having gotten fed up with all the problems I was having with yahoo email, spam, not being able to change my email password, and about 5 other causes of major heartburn, I decided to write a email to the AT&T CEO  and vented. I got a call from someone in his area that guided me through the maze to get some of my issues fixed (no change on spam or the problem changing my email password) as well as providing a litte insight as to the future of the AT&T/Yahoo tea party. I was told that Yahoo was being replaced starting sometime this summer and had no details on what it would be or how the migration would be handled. I would suggest a trip to your local big box store for a skid of antacids however. Based on what I've seen of AT&T's ability to provide clean, fast, and functional web applications, this migration is going to strip the hide of most of us.

My personal speculation is that Verizon told AT&T to take a hike Yahoo-wise and this was not an attempt by AT&T to improve the look and feel of the web based email interface.

Being that AT&T yahoo email is not reliable I am looking at alternatives including gmail. I know what you're thinking about Google's privacy intrusions but since I don't do anything provocative, controversial, or illegal I don't feel the risk is that great especially considering the upside of being able to handle spam my way using a client like Outlook. I know it's not great but I used it for at least 20 years before I retired and got kind of used to its oddities which can't hold a candle to yahoo oddities. Sidebar: I recently found a book on my bookshelf called Outlook Annoyances and covered the early versions of Outlook. Much to my chagrin, at least 60% of what the authors complained about is still broke today! Yet is is still several orders of magnitude better than Yahoo web browser interface.

One last sub-rant: I get email when there is activity on this thread. I've tried using the link below the update that says REPLY/GIVE KUDOS. It will open a new message that has some really strange TO address such as cng.prod|ff430c28|59cc7f0a-288d-4098-97e4-237b59867ce9@reply01.lithium.com and a RE: blah blah in the subject field followed by a couple of blank lines in the body followed by "##- Please type your reply above this line -##" . If I reply above the line the message bounces indicating that my reply wasn't posted and gives no reason whatsoever. If I type "TEST" and send it, it looks like it posts. This community forum application leaves quite a bit to be desired as well. I'm crossing my fingers and holding my breath now as I click REPLY...

I got a error message when hitting reply that said: "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed." The message format is RICH TEXT and not HTML Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied." What the h*ll does that mean? It would be nice if it highlighted what it removed. I guess it beats the infamous windows error message that says "An unknown error has occurred" but not by much. Where's the Tylenol?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.