Protect yourself online
MtrMaid68's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, July 15th, 2016 7:38 PM

Closed

Does Arris NVG589 Gateway Backup Battery Need to be Replaced?

Hi,

While reconfiguring my home office, I powered down my AT&T U-verse Gateway, Arris NVH589. Once I powered the router back up, I noticed the battery light was blinking. However, after 10-20 minutes it stopped. Does the backup battery need to be replaced? If so, what is the Motorolla P/N for the replacement battery and where may one be purchsed?

Regards

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

8 years ago

@MtrMaid68

No, the battery does not need to be replaced, if the battery light is blinking green. That means it's charging. It is normal for this to happen after the unit has just turned back on. If the battery was somehow blinking red or is solid red(it doesn't seem like that's the case based on your post), then yes, the battery will need to be replaced or you may want to try pulling it out and putting it back.

Keep in mind that to fully power down a NVG589 using the internal battery backup, you must pull the battery from the unit(while the unit is unplugged), put the battery back in, and then plug the unit in once again.

If your battery ever dies, it may not be that important to buy another. An internal backup only powers the voice/DSL or fiber connection portion of the gateway and does not activate the internet or TV sides. It's only useful if you have a wired(not cordless) home phone or your cordless home phone has a backup.

If you ever do need a new battery for your NVG589 gateway, you can purchase one online here -

http://shop.surfboard.com/at-t-nvg589-nvg599-u-verse-gateway-replacement-battery-sku-586185-002-00/

It lists the SKU as: 586185-002-00

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you so much for all the information!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

It’s a solid red light. I had to turn the sound off because it kept beeping. So do it need to be replaced?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

6 years ago

According to the first post in this thread, a solid red light means you need to replace the internal battery.

"...If the battery was somehow blinking red or is solid red (it doesn't seem like that's the case based on your post), then yes, the battery will need to be replaced or you may want to try pulling it out and putting it back..."

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

For whatever it's worth, I just bought a new backup battery on eBay for the NVG599 modem that AT&T sent me when I complained about my original modem not having a battery backup (AT&T send me a backup-compliant gateway but they didn't supply a battery).  The part number is  586185-002-00 and it cost just under $15 including shipping.  The batteries cost $39.99 (including shipping) on the surfboard.com web site.  

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

5 years ago

You can always check Ebay - I saw a battery as low as $8.99 for a brand new one.    But remember its Ebay so no real guarantee that's is "brand new" as indicated.     Just another source if you are looking for a battery on a budget.

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

where is the battery located?

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

where is the battery located on the NVG589?

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

On the bottom of the unit is the battery (BBU) door.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

3 years ago

This is a 5 year old topic and the post responded to is a year old.  Closing topic to further posting. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.