Protect yourself online
paulgarcia's profile

Former Employee

• 

120 Messages

Wednesday, February 6th, 2013 2:32 PM

Does AT&T still support (and have) iMAP mail services?

I know that we have POP3 mail services.

Is iMAP for Mac mail clients?

What are the differences?

What are the settings for iMAP services?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

paulgarcia wrote:

I know that we have POP3 mail services.

Is iMAP for Mac mail clients?

IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) is a feature supported by most mail clients. To my knowledge though, it is not available on Uverse with your standard mail clients.

What are the differences?

The easiest way to think of IMAP is like a webmail client. All the messages are there and can be accessed by multiple devices. Any changes are done server side. POP3 downloads all your messages to the one device you have it setup on.

What are the settings for iMAP services?

Although Uverse does not work with IMAP on most mail clients, it does use IMAP on cell phone applications. The settings are as follow:

• Incoming Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
  • Outgoing Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Incoming Port: 993 (requires SSL)
  • Outgoing Port: 465 (requires SSL/TLS)
  • User name: full email address (for example, bill@yahoo.com or bill@rocketmail.com)
  • Password: the password you use to log in to Yahoo! with.

Former Employee

• 

120 Messages

11 years ago

I have yet to try this @david_t. I'll let you know if this works. Thanks for the help, sir!

Scholar

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

Check it:

Server Settings for Popular Email Providers : http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=33462&cv=820#fbid=6aV-HeuQ5BF

Employee

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

paulgarcia,

Did David's information answer your questions?

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

No problem. Let us know how it goes. I am kind of curious to see if it works.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Is IMAP the only way to 'sync' email?  I have two email accounts.  On one (not ATT/Yahoo), I am able to delete emails on my phone and they deleted from my pc and the other way around.  With my ATT/Yahoo POP account, I've just given up on cleaning up my email.  Is there a way to 'sync' my email so that I see the same thing on my iphone, ipad, pc and apple laptop?  I am able to do this with some other services but I've been using this ATT/yahoo for many, many years, and love the service and all the ways to get support...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

How can ATT say this explanation of the lack of IMAP support for desktops as a "Solution"? It is not a solution. I am SHOCKED that I can have my ATT email set up as IMAP on my wireless smart phone and other devices but NOT on my iMac.... This was not an issue when I used Charter as my ISP. Wow.... just Wow....

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

@WarDame wrote:
How can ATT say this explanation of the lack of IMAP support for desktops as a "Solution"? It is not a solution. I am SHOCKED that I can have my ATT email set up as IMAP on my wireless smart phone and other devices but NOT on my iMac.... This was not an issue when I used Charter as my ISP. Wow.... just Wow....

It is marked as a solution because the questions that were asked (including can you use IMAP with U-verse) was answered (in the case of IMAP, the answer was "no.")

The answer doesn't have to be something that makes you happy.  If it's accurate, then marking it as a solution is the right thing to do.

While Charter may have supported IMAP while they were my ISP (I really don't remember), let me tell you some things about Charter that I don't miss:

1) often having to reboot my gateway 2 to 4 times a day 

2) Never actually providing the full bandwidth that was on the monthly invoice,

3) Spending 2 hours on the phone every 6 months getting a configuration I was paying extra for restored to my account profile,

4) Crappy basic (i.e. analog TV channels)

I could go on...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

If a problem is not solved, then it is not solved. {Inappropriate content removed}.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

IMac 21.5 inch with 4GB - and OS X 10.8.5 (12F45) Mountain Lion. iPhone 4 and Kindle Fire. 

Imap to att.net does not work reliably on any of these devices. (as of now it is dead!)  I have had intermittent password issues for years on the iMac. Recently both inbound and outbound email stopped. No particular reason and on Mac, iPhone, and Kindle all at the same time. So it is not an MAC issue, but an AT&T issue.

Server errors according to reports from the iPhone and Kindle. Mac does not report any error at all. Nothing happenson the iMac.

ATT repair tool says everything is configured just fine, so at this point I figure AT&T just killed IMAP and didn't bother to tell anyone still using it.

Password has always been more than eight chars long.  Probably explains the gateway access issue mentioned by another responedr on this thread.

Can't get IMAP to work any more.  So have converted to the POP setting and it is loading up right now.  

I have another non ATT email IMAP client set up and there has never been an issue with it. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.